Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
netteq Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

I am sure that some of you received the email today from Maggie Bogan but for those of you who do not yet know...

Our good friend Danny lost his battle with this nasty disease on Sunday.

Sitting here wiping away the tears I just wanted to share what a great person Danny was to me.

Since I arrived here Danny was one of the first people who helped me. He usually was for most first timers. He was a fighter and even through his pain and setbacks he would never hesitate to answer my emails to let me know that he cared.

I emailed him often to remind him how grateful I was and just to let him know that I cared.

He would send out jokes and other interesting things to those of us on his email list and it was always encouraging that he maintained his sense of humor.

I am going to miss him very much and I want his family to know that Danny was a very special person who touched many lives and we are very very grateful and honored to have known him.

Danny, you are no longer in pain and I hope that all of your suffering is done. You are a very special person and I will miss you very much.

With Sadness,
Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It is so horrible to hear of Danny's passing. I know the time was getting closer and closer but nothing prepares you for the pain you feel in your heart at the moment you hear of someone as precious as Danny succumbing to this dreaded disease. Danny was one of the greatest people I have had the honor of knowing in my life and certainly touched everyone is such a heartfelt way.

For those who haven't met him in person, he was quite THE character. I remember back in 2004 in Las Vegas at our first OCF get-together, Danny was swiftly darting from blackjack table to blackjack table using his self-developed "system". Based on the wad of money in his pocket, it sure must have been fine-tuned.

I will always remember his daughter telling a story about one Halloween as they were getting ready for trick-and-treaters, Danny snuck outside and got a ladder he used to sneak up to her bedroom window. When she turned around he hollerd BOO at her. The twinkle in her eyes as she told the story was so filled with love that it would have brought a tear to your eye. He was surely a prankster.

Good bye my dear friend, the little hayseed from Wisconsin who truly lived life large! I know my life will never be the same without you yet my life has been different from the moment we met.
I pray for comfort and peace for that large circle of family and friends that you have amassed around you.

God bless you.

With Love,

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Those who ever met or spoke with Dan Bogan would undoubtedly remember him as a person you would want to befriend. Kind with words, free with laughter, upbeat and thoughtful, a caring soul. Losing this kind of person seems all the more painful because we know the world needs more like him.

Dan leaves behind a long trail of love, the type of love that persists and will be seen and felt for a long time.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
(1 Corinthians 13:7)
These words, frequently heard at weddings, have much value in times of mourning as well. For they remind us of what is important and enduring in both living and the life after that Faith assures.

To Dan

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Mark, that was beautiful. Thank you, I needed it. I have been so sad all day about Danny Boy. Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

This one man , this kind and generous spirit, touched so many of us. He will be sorely missed.

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I am so happy that I had the privilege of knowing Dan Bogan. He and I were treated right around that same time, but his battle with this disease was much tougher than mine. I will continue my fight for early detection in Danny Boy's honor, and I will not stop until I have helped to make a real difference so we that stop losing people like Danny to this horrible disease.

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Like so many on this board, when I first posted a message here, Dan was the first person to respond. His upbeat attitude, compassionate words and sage advice have been a comfort to so many of us here.

His courageous battle against this disease never diminished his zest for life or altered his mischievous sense of humor. He's a wonderful man and will be sorely missed. God bless him.

If "the love you take is equal to the love you make", Danny Boy is taking home a boatload of love. May he rest in peace.

Dx 1/29/04, SCC, T2N0M0
Tx 2/12/04 Surgery, 4/15/04 66 Gy. radiation (36 sessions)
Dx 3/15/2016, SCC, pT1NX
Tx 3/29/16 Surgery
JAM Offline

To Danny's family: I wish you comfort and peace. Please know that so many of us here feel so fortunate to have shared a little of his spirit and courage and we are grateful for that. Bless your home and your family. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
VRB Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Danny Boy was a special person. He gave me comfort and hope when my husband was diagnosed and continued to remain upbeat and supportive of others while fighting his own battle with courage and dignity. My heart goes out to his family and close friends. Although I only knew him briefly through this website, he touched my heart.
Virginia
Caregiver to husband Doug BOT SCC T4N2cM0

Virginia

Danny came to this board about the same time as I did and he immediately tried to make me feel better. He was scared but still took time to help me. When he came to my fundraiser here in Virginia he was all I hoped for. I first saw him when I met him and his wife, Marcee, at the park where we held the walk. He was a smaller man but had a HUGE impact on all around him. Two of my older girls were with me and he walked around the park with us, keeping us all laughing and happy. He had a wonderful personality that drew people to him, that was obvious. My heart goes out to Marcee and her son and daughter for losing Danny so early. I'm sure his love and life lessons will live on in his children. I bet he's cracking jokes for all the Angels right now and making Heaven an even brighter place. If anyone deserves Heaven it's Danny Bogan and I know he is there right now, rooting all of us on in our fights.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics