Posted By: netteq Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 08:24 AM
I am sure that some of you received the email today from Maggie Bogan but for those of you who do not yet know...

Our good friend Danny lost his battle with this nasty disease on Sunday.

Sitting here wiping away the tears I just wanted to share what a great person Danny was to me.

Since I arrived here Danny was one of the first people who helped me. He usually was for most first timers. He was a fighter and even through his pain and setbacks he would never hesitate to answer my emails to let me know that he cared.

I emailed him often to remind him how grateful I was and just to let him know that I cared.

He would send out jokes and other interesting things to those of us on his email list and it was always encouraging that he maintained his sense of humor.

I am going to miss him very much and I want his family to know that Danny was a very special person who touched many lives and we are very very grateful and honored to have known him.

Danny, you are no longer in pain and I hope that all of your suffering is done. You are a very special person and I will miss you very much.

With Sadness,
Cindy
Posted By: Uptown Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 01:07 PM
It is so horrible to hear of Danny's passing. I know the time was getting closer and closer but nothing prepares you for the pain you feel in your heart at the moment you hear of someone as precious as Danny succumbing to this dreaded disease. Danny was one of the greatest people I have had the honor of knowing in my life and certainly touched everyone is such a heartfelt way.

For those who haven't met him in person, he was quite THE character. I remember back in 2004 in Las Vegas at our first OCF get-together, Danny was swiftly darting from blackjack table to blackjack table using his self-developed "system". Based on the wad of money in his pocket, it sure must have been fine-tuned.

I will always remember his daughter telling a story about one Halloween as they were getting ready for trick-and-treaters, Danny snuck outside and got a ladder he used to sneak up to her bedroom window. When she turned around he hollerd BOO at her. The twinkle in her eyes as she told the story was so filled with love that it would have brought a tear to your eye. He was surely a prankster.

Good bye my dear friend, the little hayseed from Wisconsin who truly lived life large! I know my life will never be the same without you yet my life has been different from the moment we met.
I pray for comfort and peace for that large circle of family and friends that you have amassed around you.

God bless you.

With Love,

Ed
Posted By: Mark Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 02:56 PM
Those who ever met or spoke with Dan Bogan would undoubtedly remember him as a person you would want to befriend. Kind with words, free with laughter, upbeat and thoughtful, a caring soul. Losing this kind of person seems all the more painful because we know the world needs more like him.

Dan leaves behind a long trail of love, the type of love that persists and will be seen and felt for a long time.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
(1 Corinthians 13:7)
These words, frequently heard at weddings, have much value in times of mourning as well. For they remind us of what is important and enduring in both living and the life after that Faith assures.

To Dan
Posted By: Carol L Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 04:27 PM
Mark, that was beautiful. Thank you, I needed it. I have been so sad all day about Danny Boy. Carol
Posted By: Marica Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 06:45 PM
This one man , this kind and generous spirit, touched so many of us. He will be sorely missed.
Posted By: bobb131 Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 07:26 PM
I am so happy that I had the privilege of knowing Dan Bogan. He and I were treated right around that same time, but his battle with this disease was much tougher than mine. I will continue my fight for early detection in Danny Boy's honor, and I will not stop until I have helped to make a real difference so we that stop losing people like Danny to this horrible disease.
Posted By: ssax Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 07:52 PM
Like so many on this board, when I first posted a message here, Dan was the first person to respond. His upbeat attitude, compassionate words and sage advice have been a comfort to so many of us here.

His courageous battle against this disease never diminished his zest for life or altered his mischievous sense of humor. He's a wonderful man and will be sorely missed. God bless him.

If "the love you take is equal to the love you make", Danny Boy is taking home a boatload of love. May he rest in peace.
Posted By: JAM Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 08:28 PM
To Danny's family: I wish you comfort and peace. Please know that so many of us here feel so fortunate to have shared a little of his spirit and courage and we are grateful for that. Bless your home and your family. Amy
Posted By: VRB Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 09:45 PM
Danny Boy was a special person. He gave me comfort and hope when my husband was diagnosed and continued to remain upbeat and supportive of others while fighting his own battle with courage and dignity. My heart goes out to his family and close friends. Although I only knew him briefly through this website, he touched my heart.
Virginia
Caregiver to husband Doug BOT SCC T4N2cM0
Posted By: minniea Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-18-2006 11:00 PM
Danny came to this board about the same time as I did and he immediately tried to make me feel better. He was scared but still took time to help me. When he came to my fundraiser here in Virginia he was all I hoped for. I first saw him when I met him and his wife, Marcee, at the park where we held the walk. He was a smaller man but had a HUGE impact on all around him. Two of my older girls were with me and he walked around the park with us, keeping us all laughing and happy. He had a wonderful personality that drew people to him, that was obvious. My heart goes out to Marcee and her son and daughter for losing Danny so early. I'm sure his love and life lessons will live on in his children. I bet he's cracking jokes for all the Angels right now and making Heaven an even brighter place. If anyone deserves Heaven it's Danny Bogan and I know he is there right now, rooting all of us on in our fights.
Posted By: Gail Mac Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-19-2006 08:21 AM
The loss of Danny is a loss not only to his family and friends, but to his "family" here on the OCF Forum where he was always a pillar of strength and courage in the face of adversity. Dan Bogen was always quick to give support and uncoragement to those who faced fear and pain, and we will miss him terribly...

Here's to you Danny Boy, go in peace. We love you...

Gail
Posted By: deni Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-19-2006 10:35 AM
I am so sad that we have lost such a wonderful friend and mentor. I offer my most sincere condolences to Danny's wonderful family. Thank you so much for sharing your husband and father with all of us, he helped so many.

While I have serious doubts about organized religion,I am absolutely certian that there is a new angel and he'll be watching over this community. Danny Boy won't have to earn his wings because he had them already when he was here, he was an angel to many of us that he welcomed and encouraged. I am personally grateful for his support and courage and the example he set of how to LIVE with and in spite of this disease.

"The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper."
-Aristotle

Peace Denise
Posted By: larryfb Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-19-2006 11:54 AM
Danny Boy was a gigantic man! He walked with vigor at the Oral Cancer Walkathon in Virginia Beach. He smiled, chatted, joked, and befriended everyone. He came with a purpose, to love people and to walk in support of this Oral Cancer group.

I enjoyed our time together on that warm, sunny spring morning in VA beach. He told me how his golf winnings were used to buy Christmas gifts. He loved golf and he loved giving. Danny Boy had a radiant smile and a contagious laugh.

Lov
Posted By: John B Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-19-2006 06:22 PM
I would like to thank you all for the Kind words for my Brother, and Friend, Danny Boy! We laid him to rest today, and his fight is done! I can tell you that he taught me what courage is about, wright up to the end! There were many kind words
said, as you all proably know. We will all miss that smile, that laugh, and his witt. Untill we see each other again, I salute you Danny Boy.

Your Brother, John B
Danny Boy,

My luminarias for you in Relay for Life have always been in honor of... and now will be in memory of... You will always be the HOPE in our fight.

You will be missed.

Lisa
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-20-2006 08:13 PM
Clearly from reading all these posts, Danny was loved and respected. I feel lucky to have known Danny, and much that transpired between us, changed me profoundly. My world is diminished by his absence from it. I have been waiting for several days to post, thinking of what I can say that would do justice to the man that Danny was... but I think that all of you have used the words and sentiments that reflect my own. Oddly, while thoughts of Danny's family are on my mind, and I have spent a great deal of time replaying my conversations with him in my head, my thoughts are mostly of myself. I know that sounds selfish, but the pain of losing someone that I have grown to care about so strongly, dominates my senses. It is the worst part of being constantly involved with this disease on a daily basis through OCF.

Certainly people's battles and recurrences weigh on all of us, as it is far too easy to see ourselves in their place. Anyone who has read my posts on the board knows that I stay to the science pretty much, and leave much of the emotional handholding to those who do it much better than I. I know today why I take that position, it is defensive. But Danny was not the kind of person that you could emotionally keep at arm's length. His honesty and candor, coupled with his genuine good nature worked its way into you. He was always about others; he was always about helping OCF in its events, and in trying to help us raise money to stay alive. In all the conversations I had with him, he seldom spoke of his own situation, or needs. He certainly was a gentle, caring human being whose easygoing manner and inner strength set an example that I can only aspire to. I will miss him greatly.
Posted By: Nicki Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-20-2006 10:48 PM
Beautiful eulogies, all. We have been blessed to have had Danny in our lives; let us each try to pass on the gift of love he gave us.

We will all miss you, Danny.
Posted By: lenny polizzi Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-21-2006 06:30 AM
This illness always surrounds us with sadness, however it also exposes us to the resilient spirit, the profound insite, and the unwavering courage all of which Danny showed us. There are many more here who will follow in his footsteps and be shinning star amongst us. I thank him for his support, praise him for his courage and am humbled unselfish acts of kindness. March on Danny Boy you will continue to inspire us all.
Lenny
Posted By: digtexas Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-21-2006 09:17 AM
Danny was a great guy...a charming and funny scamp and, although I never met him in person I always considered him a friend and was so pleased by the role that he played on the OCF forum. As my health improved, I inevitably got back to work and a semblance of my normal life and spent less time on the forum, although I still check it out every day or so. When I would check in, there would be Danny Boy, welcoming and encouraging some new member who reallly needed it...and I was always thankful that he was here to do that. Danny was a kind man and he
will be truly missed.

The other Danny
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-25-2006 12:28 PM
I had received the message from Maggie last week when checking my email while on vacation in South America. Although I had no time to sign in to the forum I did send a short personal note off to the Bogan Family. Well, I'm back and and of course the first thing to do is touch base with all you dear people of the OCF.

I had no doubt that the tributes to Danny that I knew I would find here, would be overwhelming. And for sure, I have not been disappointed. Those of you that personally knew him have painted a wonderful picture for those that did not.

Although I was not fortunate to have met him, Danny holds a special place in my heart. From his reassuring words here on the forum, his insight and good humor, I had grown to know that he was a very special person. He will be sadly missed and I take comfort in knowing that he no longer suffers.

Jerry
Posted By: Vin Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-25-2006 10:01 PM
I never met Danny Boy personally but I thought of him as friend. Danny Boy personifies the concept of "true human being", Indeed, he was one. Through OCF he became to symbolize hope, strength, courage and goodness. I developed great respect and admiration for Danny because he inspired in me all the qualities he so freely shared with us in our struggles against the evilness of cancer. I will miss him, but his legacy will continue at OCF because he left an indelible mark on all of us. My deepest condolances to his family.
Posted By: DanielleO Re: Goodbye to our good friend Danny Boy - 07-26-2006 02:16 AM
My love and prayers go out to Danny's family...every time I was scared or had questions he was always there with support and kind words. He will truly be missed. Many many hugs to his family.
Love,
Dani
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum