Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
wilma42 Offline OP
OP Offline

One thing I was wondering about is, if they put in a feeding tube will I still be able to drink or eat anything thur the mouth, It would be nice to at least be able to drink as long as I can, to keep the mouth wet. how long do they leave in the feeding tube after ratation? Most likely it would be till the mouth and throat heals, I wonder if the burn is like the one you would get from boiling water and would take about the same amount of time. I'm hoping I'm looking at about 6 weeks of treatmemt then 2 more weeks to heal...I also know that things don't alway go as planned.

mouth cancer Diagnosed July 11th.2008
Surgery on July 24th. to remove cancer between chin and gums.
pet scan being set up for end of month.
Ratation and small amounts of chemo will start in about 5 weeks after mouth has healed. will need a feeding tube.
66 year old female,
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Wilma,
yes! The PEG tube does not prevent you from eating and drinking normally. Those who have it use it only when they have to. Also most continue to at least drink some liquids normally.
If it becomes to uncomfortable to eat drink normally you switch to the PEG and as soon as you can eat and drink normally you switch back. For most this is also gradual. It is also great to ensure that you get the hydration you need. The feeding tube comes out once it is clear that you get enough calories the regular way, so that time varies. Taking it out is a snap! (literally).
The timeframe you list is extremely optimistic, I am not trying to freak you out, but you are not just treating a cold here. You may be up and perhaps working 2 weeks after the radiation ends. If you are very lucky and even then you are most likely as weak as a dog and are nowhere near where you were before the ordeal.

Best

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Wilma:

As far as the feeding tube goes, it will be up to you how long you have it. You must be able to take in enough calories by mouth and of course swallow meds to be able to have the peg tube removed. Keep eating and drinking during your treatments it will help you to be free of the peg tube faster. Everyone responds to treatments differently some are rid of the tube a month after treatment ends, others like me frown still have it a year later. Same goes for the mouth sores and all the other side effects, everyone is at their own pace. Sorry there isnt better news about a timeline.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
wilma42 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, I'm so glad I found this site, the cancer center is good at answering questions.....but people that has been thur it can answer them better and as I sat here and things pop into my mind, I can just ask without waiting to see someone, this is great. again thank you
Wilma

Ratation and small amounts of chemo will start in about 5 weeks after mouth has healed. will need a feeding tube.
66 year old female,

Feel free to ask your questions. There are many who will be able to answer them for you.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I think maybe you better plan on more like a few months to heal properly. Not trying to scare you, just being honest like these people were with me. I sometime wish I hadn't of turned the tube down and maybe I wouldn't have lost 70 lbs, but I did. I wish you all of the luck in the world and the best to you.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
wilma42 Offline OP
OP Offline

Ezjim what was it like without the tube, he told me I didn't have to get it, but if I got where I couldn't eat, that they would have to stop the radation untill I healed and then put a tube in and start again. I don't know if I want to prolong treatment like that....I need to know all I can, and I know everyone is not the same....but it helps to know everything....Thank you
Wilma

66 year old female,
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Wilma,

I didn't want the Peg and my doctors went along even though I couldn't afford to loose a pound going into Tx. I didn't find this site until after my Tx was over so I didn't have this site's wisdom to help guide me. It probably wouldn't have made a difference in my decision not to get the Peg because I was in denial and I wouldn't have listened anyway.

That said, I am glad I didn't get the Peg but I will tell you there were times when I could have used it. There are times when my mouth was so sore and the pain meds were making me so nauseated that swallowing anything was horrible to impossible so I would lie to my wife and tell here I was drinking my water and my food when I was not. That led to dehydration, constipation, weakness and 3 trips to the ER to get fluids. The reason I am glad that I didn't is that it did cause me to keep swallowing every day and I never have any swallowing problems.

If I had to do it over again, God Forbid, I would want weekly chemos instead of a big bay every 3 weeks; I would want frequently SCHEDULED IV fluids; I would want to target 3000 cals a day instead of 2000; I would get a Port and I wouldn't get the Peg.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
wilma42 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you David this is what I'm looking for, the truth of what other people has gone thur and what they would do if they had to do it again. All of you are just great, With your help I know I can get thur this. One more question, (well maybe a few later...lol)did you have to give up driving? My husband is a lot older and needs a lot of care about meds. cooking, shopping. we can get some help from family, but they all work or have small children. Will I be able to do any shopping, maybe with the help of a cart, or do you have any better days? Do I need to see if I can get some kind of help with house, shopping,and picking up meds, things that have to be done.
Wilma

66 year old female,

Wilma:

I dont want to scare you so I will start off by saying everybody is different. I was unable to drive at the first week of treatment. The first round of chemo wasnt so bad that hit me about 10 days later. I was already feeling pretty lousy by the time treatments started. I had the peg tube and port placed, had 3 teeth removed and already had a very sore mouth only a couple days before treatment started.

I had no strength to do grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry. I wasnt going to be out in public picking up so many extra germs when my immune system was already so compromised. That isnt even taking into account for the nausea I got just going from the car into the hospital for treatment. A few times I was frantically running looking for a place to puke. Also several times I wasnt strong enough to walk and needed a wheelchair.

If I had to do it again, I would still have gotten the peg tube and port. Both have been very useful to me. The only things I would have done differently are to get more helpers and drink more fluid or put more down the tube. Then I would have avoided being admitted twice to the hospital for dehydration.

Basically you will need help. Anybody who asks what they can do for you, give them a job, now isnt the time to be proud. If you havent already, call the American Cancer Society. They can help to find someone who may be able to transport you to treatments. They will can help pay for medicines as some are very expensive ($100 a pill). Start lining up helpers now so your mind is at ease when you dont feel the best.

Dont forget, everbody isnt the same going thru this. Some people dont get the worst side effects til the last week of treatments.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma