Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
marma Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

I am preparing my family for the effects of oral tongue cancer. I want to know how we should treat my father in law, who will have a portion of his tongue removed and have speech problems for at least some time. He is a retired commanding officer who is very keen on being a help to others, and is used to speaking before thousands of people. I do not know if he is going to take this well. Can you please offer your own experience and hopes without getting to detailed about the specifics so that we might pass this on to him? And can you please tell ME how i and other family members should approach papa when getting him to try and speak and practice his speech? And anything else we should know? what can I do to comfort him???
thanks and god bless.

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I had part of my tongue removed last Aug 3rd along with the neck dissection. I just wanted my family to not push me too fast or try to make this their worry. I had radiation tongue implants this past Feb 29th and that doen't help either. Just give your dad some room and encourage him the best you can. It didn't take ,me long to get back into life, but I had a positive attitude going in and still have it. He will progress as fast or slow as his mind allows him to. I'm glad he has family near him to assist in needed. This I don't have but sure wish I did. My friend took off and hasn't looked back. LOL Of course it was all from my being so mean. She has been told by other OC victims that it changes your personality for awhile, but wouldn't believe it. If your dad gets cranky, just grin and bear it, It's the OC talikng and not him. Good luck and may he heal fast.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Here is my take on this:
This greatly depends how much and what part of the tongue was removed. Perhaps someone with more experience can pipe in, especially those who had reconstruction surgery as well.
People learn to compensate, depending on the extent of glossectomy a speech pathologist might help. It also depends what language you speak, I have issues with a sharp ss in english, a sound that is not much that much used in my "mother tongue" (swiss-german) so this also partially depends on the language (at least in my case). A pity that I get to speak this only rarely these days. I have been teaching (in english) since spring and speech has not been an issue as far as I know (on the other hand this WAS Pchem....). Despite this and other things one might complain about, these "inconveniences" sure beat the alternative.
I suggest you talk openly with him; the treatment is rough and now is not the time to fret about issues that he may or may not have a year down the road.

Best

Markus

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
marma Offline OP
OP Offline

Jim, thanks for the invaluable information. We will remember to remain patient and expect some difficult phases.

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.
marma Offline OP
OP Offline

HI, the tongue is not yet operated on, but we estimate about 50% to be removed with all or most of the tip intact. Papa speaks english and hindi, so he will need to practice his "s" a lot. Al the best and god bless.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23