Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#77478 07-24-2008 09:21 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

We have discussed this here a lot and there was a really good paper presented at a recent major head and neck cancer conference that elucidates some of the good that comes from them. The article is in the recent oral cancer in the news section of the web site, titled

Greater Accuracy in Staging Can Influence Long-Term Treatment Options in Oropharyngeal Cancer: Presented at AHNS

Note we are currently working on rebuilding the database for the OCF site since it now has THOUSANDS of news articles ( you guys need to subscribe to the feed for free) and there isn't in the last months postings of stories a really good search engine to look at these by date and title. That is coming, and Chester will have the code written in the next couple of days

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

If I knew the feed, I would sign up for it in a minute. LOL , But me and computers sometimes look at the world differently. I try to do something and it does something different.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Member (100+ posts)

thank you, I have posted a question regarding same and will look at this when I have time...meanwhile have many appts today interviewing surgeons.

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.

I am still not finding the article tho! Can anyone help me out? I went to the news section and don't see a search engine in there and haven't found it by browsing.

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Marma --

Here's the article Brian was talking about.

-- Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.

thanks a mill

im not able to find a definition of oropharyngeal that i understand but i don't think it includes tongue does it?

You might find the NCCN practice guidelines helpful.
I know I certainly have, but keep in mind this cancer is also quite new to me.
http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/head-and-neck.pdf

I believe you may need to get the doctors to be a bit more precise about the diagnosis (what part of his tongue) after which you can follow it thru the NCCN�s recommended diagnosis and treatment matrix.

You will find info as to staging on pg 65 (T1,N0, M0�.)

I found it easier to just download this pdf since I had to keep going back to it as my doctors worked their way thru my DX (diagnosis) to arrive at my TX (Treatment Plan). Also you may need to click around the pdf a bit to get use to it and I suggest you look thru the whole document.

The NCCN membership is composed of our most reputable Cancer Centers and these guidelines should be closely followed by others. I am being treated at an accredited Community Cancer Center and they seem to have closely followed the steps shown to arrive at my DX and now my TX.

The NCCN Member Institutions are:
City of Hope
Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women�s Cancer Center
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center
Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center
Fox Chase Cancer Center
Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center / Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital & Richard J. Solove Research Institute at The Ohio State University
The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins
Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital / University of Tennessee Cancer Institute
Stanford Comprehensive Cancer Center
University of Alabama at Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center
UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center
UNMC Eppley Cancer Center at The Nebraska Medical Center
The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11

OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

All the centers are also listed on the OCF main site, under the link additional resources link on the entry page of the site.

The pharynx has three parts, the nasopharynx which is above what you can see when you look in your mouth at the back of your throat, that part that you can see, is itself the oropharynx (the oral aspect of the pharynx), and the lower pharynx which is then the part below your tongue in your throat down to the hyoid bone. The tongue itself is not any part of the pharynx, most of it is in the oral cavity and not in the oropharynx.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Thanks to everyone

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users