Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#76727 07-09-2008 04:08 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I figured I should go ahead and introduce myself on here. Like most newbies, I guess I have been snooping around the boards gaining lots of insightful information for a while now, but it's about time I let you all know that I am here reading your posts!

I am 23, yes, I'm a young'un. Apart from getting cancer, I was very healthy! I ate my veggies and fruit and was very active. I played tennis almost every day. My medical oncologist made the comment on meeting me the first time, "Man, when you get sick, you go all out, don't you"? I don't have HPV, or any immune system disorders. I don't smoke, and I hardly ever drink (too many calories!) I was diagnosed at the end of April with SCC. I had an ulcer on the right side of my tongue that was not healing up that had been there since December, and I, of course, was ignoring it. I mean seriously, I was 22 at the time, who gets oral cancer at 22? Me apparently! So I finally got up the nerve to see a dentist in March, thinking that I had a rough filling that was cutting my tongue. So I had that smoothed down and was given some canker sore medicine that did not work. Then I was referred to an oral surgeon who put me on steroids. The sore was responding to the steroids so we waited a couple weeks to see what happened and then I finally signed my sanity away and allowed him to do a biopsy around mid April. Then about a week later I received a phone call and was told I had cancer. Then began the million doctor appointments and scans.

I don't think it hit me at all before the surgery that I had cancer, I was holding up great while everyone around me freaked out! I had my surgery on May 19th, it lasted 14 1/2 hours, and I spent 11 days (7 in ICU)in the hospital because I came down with pneumonia and was having stomach issues with the PEG tube feedings. I had a little more than the right half of my tongue removed and a flap constructed from my forearm. I had a bilateral neck dissection and one positive node. I had a PEG tube put in while I was in the hospital, and I also had a trach (that was removed before I left the hospital).

Needless to say I survived and now I'm going through radiation (TomoTherapy) and chemo (Carboplatin) - yesterday was my half way point! I started off at the beginning with really bad nausea and vomiting, I went to the ER once for fluids, but I have been mostly fine ever since. I developed a lovely case of thrush and I only have one mouth ulcer (so far). I'm still waiting for the bottom to drop out with treatment because I still have a fairly full bottle of pain meds waiting for me.

My ENT is absolutely amazing and that has made all the difference in the world. And for the first time in my life I actually look forward to appointments with a doctor!!

It's been a long few months and I still have a ways to go! But I am trucking along and taking it a day at a time! So I am just saying hi and letting you all into my little world. Hopefully I didn't bore you to death with my story!

Stephanie, 23, SCC on the right side of my tongue, surgery on 5-19-08, over half my tongue removed, free flap constructed from my forearm, bilateral neck dissection, one positive node. Radiation (32) and chemo (carboplatin) started on 6-16-08. Recurrence 4/09 in lungs.

**** Stephanie passed away 12.15.09.... RIP our dear friend****

sobradley #76729 07-09-2008 04:26 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hey Sweetie!

So sorry to hear of your struggles with tongue cancer. My gosh I can't believe this hit yu at 23! I too didn't relaly have risk factors. I did smoke for a little bit and drank beer and wine on occassion but the Drs. don't think that was what caused it... just bad luck.. and maybe dentistry (that's my theory as I have a lot of fillings implants etc ...) I had the same surgery radiation and chemo as you did but i have 90% of my tongue removed. You are gonna do great. I am a year out and am doing 1001 times better than I ever ever thought I would be. I am 25- this hit me when I was 33- I know I'm a little older but it is different to go through this at a younger age - so if you have any ?s or need some support pls don't hesitate to email/pm me smile

HANG IN THERE! You are almost done

XOXOX smile Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
misskate #76731 07-09-2008 05:13 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Yes you are very young to have this garbage. But we have a girl in her teens that has it and has been fighting it for a long time. You are a brave young man and you might never find out the cause of the OC.. just keep in everyones prayers and the best to you.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #76736 07-09-2008 05:47 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Stephanie:

Welcome to OCF. Im so sorry that you must go thru this at your age. There was another young girl here from England who was only 18 and just recently finished her treatments.

Age is one thing that gives you an advantage at fighting this awful disease. Your body will bounce back much quicker than someone who is older. You have only a few more rough weeks which will be over before you know it.

Ask any questions you need to. You will find tons of info here to help you thru and lots of support too.

Christine

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ChristineB #76741 07-09-2008 07:59 PM

and I so get mad when the doc says i dont think you have cancer... Your risks of having cancer due to your age is slim to none. I dont care who you are or your age, we are all prone to cancer. Sweetheart my heart, thoughts, and prayers are with you. I hope all goes well.

tracey81 #76742 07-09-2008 08:26 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Stephanie,

Sorry you are here but love the energy in your post. I hope the rest of your treatment goes smoothly and your done with this once and for all.

Cancer of Tongue, SCC early Stage 1, Dx 3/13/07, partial glossectomy 4/14/07 found no residual carcinoma and a granular cell tumor with pseudo epitheliomatous hyperplasia.
Suess57 #76744 07-09-2008 08:50 PM

Welcome Stephanie,

I loved your post. You are so positive and thats what it takes to get through all of this. You will have good and bad days and that is OK. Just know every day that passes is a day closer to getting better. smile

Take care, Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
Suess57 #76745 07-09-2008 08:58 PM

Stephanie,
Your introduction would never bore this fine group of wonderful people. I'm sure we all take a breath before we read the introductions from new people because none of us would ever wish this on our worst enemy. It also bring back a lot of emotions for us all.
I never really got emotional about my diagnosis until after my surgery as well. I think it is because I was so busy trying to intelligently interpret all of the information I was getting from so many doctors that I was way too preoccupied. 21 days in a hospital bed gives you time to think, emotions set in.
You seem very upbeat and positive try and keep that up because it will only help you.
Ask any questions you want, post your thoughts, experiences and even vent if you feel the need. You have friends here and we may not have all the answers but, you will know that you are not alone.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Contact me anytime if you wish.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Dr. Mike #76747 07-10-2008 02:39 AM

Hi Stephanie,

Your introduction was anything but boring. You have an amazing sense of who you are and an attitude that will surely help you continue your fight with this dreaded disease. One would have suspected HPV being the cause of your SCC based on your age and history of not smoking or drinking. However, there are a small percentage of us that had SCC with no known etiology. I guess if we knew why, we might be more at ease (if that's possible at all). But we don't.

I skimmed through your blog and you really are an amazing young lady. I wish you good luck as you finish up your treatment and hope that you continue to post as your experiences and your great ability to communicate will definitely help others.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
wilckdds #76754 07-10-2008 05:46 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Welcome !

Kudos to ur attitude ! and the way it is, ur sure gonna win this battle !
Also since ur young you have the added advantage.
Needless to say hang in there smile

- Avinash
My Father,
Age 59, T2N1M0, Stage 3, smoker left 5 years back, casual drinker , NACT with TAXOL +5FU+Cisplatin x 2, and 70 Gy in 35# from 03/10/08 to 04/26/08, no surgery, After Chemo cycles tumor reduced 60%,
Cancer Free now !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users