Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7662 05-31-2006 07:56 AM
kringle Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi All,
My sister (60 yrs), living on LI, NY, was diagnosed with throat/voice box CA and went through chemo and radiation--finished
end of December. Just found out that it is back--very minutely and has not spread any where else in her body (Thank God). They are going to do a biopsy on Monday 6/5 (Cornell, Dr. K) to
determine the extent of the CA and then probably (hopefully) a partial removal of her voice box.

Anyone know of any new procedures? Can't they do this with laser? Where should I look? Maybe there is a site to look at of people
documenting their experiences with partial removal?

My sister is soooo afraid and my heart aches for her. She does not have a computer. I have contacted Dr. K's office and asked
them if someone who had the procedure done could call and talk to her. Hopefully this happens and helps.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

#7663 05-31-2006 10:35 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Chris,
I removed the doctor's name from your post because we don't want to seem positive or negative about specific doctors.

I am sorry that your sister has to face such issues. Eileen is a regular poster here and might offer answers because she has a similar history. You have found a great resource here at OCF the forum is full of personal questions and answers for you to read and search.

Take care,

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#7664 05-31-2006 03:34 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Chris,
I had a tiny tumor on my larynx in 2001 that they hoped they could remove with a laser. At that time they only did it at two hospitals in the US, HUP in Philadelphia and I believe Mayo in Jacksonville, Fl. It was a procedure that was done regularly in Germany at that time. Because my tumor was too close to the esaphageal opening, HUP decided that they could not do the laser and I had to have a total largygectomy. I wasn't eligible for a partial because of location.

I am certain now it is 5 years later that many more doctors are qualified to do the laser procedure but I don't know where. I would inquire of the drs where she is being treated as to who is doing this. I would expect Sloan and MD Anderson both do it, or she could come to PA.

If you have further questions, email me rather than private message. I'm rather busy right now and do not have the time to devote to this site I would like.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#7665 05-31-2006 05:39 PM

Hi Chris

I just had this procedure done at MD Anderson/Houston. Transoral Laser Microsurgery for small lesion on epiglottis, up above voice box. They went in through throat, no external incisions. 4 days hospital. I'm not familiar with your area but surely any of the large CCC centers Anderson/Mayo would be able to offer this type of surgery. Also, I think tumor location has a lot to do with/if they can go in with laser. Of course, if the tumor is small and hasn't spread, your sister will have many options. Best of luck to you..
Russell

Age 67, SCC Larynx/Voice Box (T1-N0-M0)
Laser Supraglottic Laryngectomy 4/29/06.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23