Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello everyone

I have really been a pest thses past few days with these questions but here's another...
Stephen has an appointment tommorrow with his MO at Dana=Faber and I want to go ready. I really feel in my gut that there is something going on ewith my husband. I woukd really appreciate everyones honest oppinions her. Stephen is still sleeping around the clock and I need to clarify that I am not exagerating. He's not just lying in bed being lazy and depressed...he literally sleeps all day all night. Today I noticed these rings around his eyes. They almost look bruised..He just doesn't look right to me and I need some answers. Could it be that the tumor hasnt responded(It is a T$ BOT) and that the cancer had been spreading during these weeks? Please be candid and let me know if youve ever heard of anyone never recovering from the treatment because the cancer continued to grow..
Thank you all
Kerry

Kerry/wife of stephenm
StageIV - Base of Tongue T4N0M0
XRT x42 / Taxol and Carboplatin x4
Tx. Finished 5/08/06
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Kerry, no one here can give you the answer about whether the cancer is still growing BUT I can share with you that for weeks after radiation tx. ended John slept almost around the clock and felt and looked awful. {He did not have chemo at the time} Stephen has been really beat up by the rad. and chemo. I know it is heartbreaking and very frightening for you to see him like this, but you are going to have to gather all of the inner strength you have to get through this. It will be as hard a job as you have ever had. I hope you can feel us reaching out to you. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Kerry just chill out a little. He's bottoming out right now from the treatment. I know it's hard to watch - my wife thought I was going to die for sure but it was just a normal reaction to the brutal effects of chemo and radiation. He should be a sleeping a lot right now. The other side of the coin, is he responded so well to treatment that the tumor is dead. It takes one month of recovery for every week of radiation and it's a very slow, drawn out process. You will only be able to measure any progress at all in 3 week increments. He'll bounce back - give him some time. Stay on top of nutrition, fluids and meds. All I had energy to do was a shower in the afternoon (I had to wait for my energy to peak) showering first thing in the morning would wipe me out for the day - and force feeding myself liquid gruel! It took a major effort to stay on top of the dental hygiene but I managed somehow. Now I have insomnia - I hardly ever sleep at all.

This too shall pass!

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Kerry,
I haven't posted in ages, but I related to your question so much... My husband slept pretty much non-stop for a few weeks after treatment, too, and looked absolutely dreadful. It really does seem to be the norm after the rigors they endure. And one month of recovery for every week of treatment is a bit optimistic for some people. My husband finished 18 months ago, and is still healing in some areas. Let us know how the checkup goes.

Sherry (Dolores is the name of my cat) Wife to Ken, starting chemo/radiation 10/25/04. Stage IV SCC of right tonsil, T2,N2A,MO
OP Offline

Thank-you all. I feel better. I'm going to take a deep breathe and chill like Gary suggested...couldn't get thru this without you all.

Kerry

Kerry/wife of stephenm
StageIV - Base of Tongue T4N0M0
XRT x42 / Taxol and Carboplatin x4
Tx. Finished 5/08/06
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Kerry
I want you to know that it doesnt get any worse from here. This is the stage that scared me the very most with my husband. I did have the chemo docs give him a little fluid one day when we were in for a check up, and it was amazing how well he bounced. Erik hit the peak of his depression right about this time too, I just made sure that it was brought up at the next appointment, and the doc put him on some meds for a few months. We are seven weeks out of treatment right now and the improvement is AWESOME!! I took him to Vegas this weekend and he partied and kept up like the rest of us (cept he slept in later) My prayers are with you, I know how scary it is right now!!
Jennie

Caregiver to Erik -1st DX 12/22/2005 SCC of Tongue, T3N1M0, hemi-glossectomy,60 nodes removed, carboplatnin,Erbitux, 35Rads.
Reoccurrence T1N0M0 4/14/08-partial glossectomy-16 weeks Erbitux and Taxol-
3rd reoccurrence 5/18/12- partial glossectomy
Vin Offline

Kerry,

Whe expect thngs to improve rapidly after the end of the treatments. But this is not so. What doctors fail to tell us is that there is a gradual decline in health following the treatments due the effects on the bidy by the radiation and chemotherapy.

There were many times when I felt that my spouse was not going to make it that the cancer had come back. Now, 10 months after the end of the treatments she is still not fully recovered.

It is a long and slow process but hang in there as things will get better. Be patient.

Vin

CG to wife;
Jan 2005 DX SCC Tongue T2N1MO; RND surgery Mar 2005; 35 XRT and 4 cisplatin completed Jul 2005.
Dec 2006 tongue surgery, Scar tissue no cancer.
Feb 2010 neck node FNA - negative.
2010 ORN right jaw plus fracture
2015 ORN left jaw plus fracture
Feb 2016 Lower jaw reconstruction by Fibula free flap+titanium plate - Permanent G-tube
June 2016 Difficulty breathing - Permanent Trachea tube
Dec 2019 DX Cervical cancer - Stage 1 - Surgery Jan 16 2020.
15-20 esophagus/larynx dilations

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics