Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Eileen Offline OP
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Hi Guys,
I hate July 2nd. It just isn't my day. Both my cancers were diagnosed on July 2nd 4 years apart. Normally I hide under a rock on that date but forgot to yesterday. So the phone rings yesterday and its the vascular doctor. My right carotid is 95% blocked and both my legs have severe arterial blockage. He says we have to balloon and stent all three. At least it not cancer.

I don't think I have any choice in this. I have no symptoms on the carotid but am having extreme difficulty walking any further than a couple of blocks starting last fall and it is getting worse. My legs just tire and ache and I can go no further. They think that the carotid is due to radiation. I have no clue as to why the legs are blocked because my cholesterol is normal on meds and my HDL is very high. I did start taking zetia in addition to Pravachol about two years ago and it lowered LDL. I've heard some controvery over this drug recently but don't know if related.

Anyway, I'm scared to death of both of these surgeries. My uncle died within a month of having his carotid done. Does anyone know anyone who has had this done? Any problems? What questions should I be asking this surgeon?

I was hoping to get all three surgeries done at once so only one recouperating time, but now thinking twice about that. You are awake when they do this and I think the neck is 2-3 hours. If it is the same legs, I don't think I could do an awake surgery for 6-9 hours without having a heart attack. I had a rhinoplasty years ago and let me tell you, awake surgical procedures are no fun.

My appt to discuss the surgery is Tues the 8th. I expect the carotid surgery to be the follwing week. I would appreciate any info anyone can give me about the balloon and stenting and problems people had after it. I did ask the surgeon about the problems with the stents that Brian mentioned and he said that was heart stents, not carotid which are different.

Everyone have a wonderful 4th of July or summer weekend if not in US and thanks for your help.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Hi Eileen. I'm a newbie to OCF, but have read many of your posts in the past six weeks. My neighbor's mother-in-law had a carotid stent put in just two weeks ago. She stayed one night in the hospital, and is doing fine. She, too, was extremely apprehensive about being awake, but she did great. Hope this helps. Don't know anything about the legs. Have a great 4th of July.

Andie
Friend to BOT patient. Stage 1A; no node involvement; no metastesis. DX April 6, 2008. Rad. completed on June 23,2008. 10 more weekly Carboplatin.

Eileen, I got your PM about this too. That stinks. I can see why awake surgery couldn't go beyond a certain time. Are you really wide awake or is it semi-conscious like when they give you a colonoscopy (if it's the latter, it's not really awake in my experience--its very very sleepy but barely conscious).

I wish I knew anything about this surgery that could help you but unfortunately I don't. Just wanted to say that that stinks and I think next time you should plan on sleeping through July 2nd somehow!

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Eileen

i am so sorry to read your news.

I hope all goes well and you should feel much better after these procedures,

try not to worry too much

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.

Eileen, my younger sister had it done on both legs 3 weeks ago and she is doing fine. She says she has a little pain but is fine with it. I have you in my prayers.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I had a neighbor who had his carotid done a few weeks ago and he was out doing yard work last Sat. He never told me that he was awake during the procedure. Sounds creepy but I'm sure you will just do great.

I think I would turn off the phones and sit in your closet next July 2nd.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Hi Eileen,

Sorry I can't shed any light on your questions, but it seems that others here are giving you some good info.

You will be in prayers and I will be thinking of you on the 8th.

Happy 4th to you and your husband.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Eileen Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the replies everyone. I see the surgeon tomorrow so should know more after that.

Jim,
PAIN?? What kind of pain? Where? At the entry site of catheter or from the stent? How bad? I don't do pain. The whole purpose of doing the legs is so I DON'T have pain after walking a few blocks.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Eileen, I certainly don't have medical advice, but as far as the carotid goes, I think that the primary danger of stenting those is the chance of having plaque break loose. It sounds like you don't have a plaque problem, but stenosis due to radiation, so the procedure should be much safer in that case.

Nonetheless, I can imagine your anxiety. At least, as you said, it's NOT cancer! How nice, for a change!

Keep us posted.

XO--Colleen

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Eileen, my sister would call sitting down too hard pain. LOL I pay no attention to her. You will be fine because you are tough.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320