Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CindyD Offline OP
OP Offline

All the hard work in going thru radiation and chemo and now my dad needs to have the lower left jaw bone removed. They are taking a piece of his leg bone and putting in the jaw. They are also taking skin from his leg for his face. They will be putting a trach in for a few days and then ween him from it. (my understanding)

HELP!!!

Has anyone gone thru this? Can you eat? Talk? Walk? Please let me know what you have gone thru and how long ago you had it done, recoup time and any other information you can share, so my family can be prepared for this surgery.

Thank you!

Diagnosed in October 2005. 35 weeks of radiation and 3 chemo treatments. 6/21/06Right partial mandibulectomy in the right mandibular gingiva. T2, N1, MX Postive Margins. Aug. 06 came back and now passed away 4/8/07
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Cindy, while I am not one,there are people on this forum who have had this done. My leg was prepped when I went into surgery in case that needed to be done, so I know it is not an unusual procedure. The one person who I can think of at the moment who had this procedure can walk and talk and eat quite well. I am very sorry your dad has to face another round of treatment.

Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I have had a similar operation. Only half of my jaw bone was removed along with 3 teeth, the gum line, cheek liner and 37 nodes. They took a 16 inch piece of flesh from my leg and inserted into my jaw. I too had a trach. The trick to the trech is learning to breath with the tube plug in i.e. on your own. The doctors came in and my plug was out, so I had to keep trach in after I went home, though only for a few days.
My surgery was 11 1/2 hours. I do have some pics of it on my website, though I am not sure you want to see it.
I was unable to eat or drink for about 2 weeks. I lost 20 pounds, but quickly put it back on within 2 months.I have lost the taste for carbonated drinks though.
I wish you and your father the very best. Good luck and God bless.

The Outdoor Texan
CindyD Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much for the information! I did view the pictures and thanks for sharing them.

Can I ask you a few questions? How old are you now? What was the time frame from when you were diagnosed to the surgery? How long has it been since you had this surgery done? Have you been rechecked for a reoccurence?

Thanks so very much!

Cindy

Diagnosed in October 2005. 35 weeks of radiation and 3 chemo treatments. 6/21/06Right partial mandibulectomy in the right mandibular gingiva. T2, N1, MX Postive Margins. Aug. 06 came back and now passed away 4/8/07
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi, Cindy, just wanted to share our experience-close to your Dad's but not quite the same. John had part of his jaw bone removed and replaced with titanium and then covered with skin from his arm. He did have a trach [and a peg tube]. The trach took some getting used to, but it was not as bad as we feared and it was healed after a few weeks. Yes, talking can be difficult for awhile, so get a wipe board for him. John was not allowed to swallow anything for 12 days after surgery and then only small sips of liquids. Following the instructions for care of the trach is very important. John is 64 and this was his 2nd surgery also. Your Dad will need some good nursing when he comes home. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Hi Cindy,

I also had the surgery your dad will have, I had it done on April 16th, 2003 and am doing quite well today. I followed the surgery with radiation, and the radiation was far more difficult then the surgery.

Within 3 weeks, I was eating anything I wanted to eat (remember, I hadn't had radiation yet) and was talking quite well as soon as my trach was removed, which was approx. the 5th day in the hospital. I was in the hospital for 11 days.

My leg gave me far more troubles then my jaw or face did. It took me awhile, but I walk fine now. The donor leg isn't as strong as my other leg and it gets tired quick, but works just fine.

It's a tough surgery but I've had good results from it and I'm cancer free. As I said, the radition was FAR more difficult for me.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

My biopsy was done on September 24 last year and my surgery was on December 7th. I actually came back to work on Jan.3rd, though to very light duty and partial days.
I have been back for a follow up ct scan and was given a thumbs up 2 weeks ago. Now it is a waiting game. Since only flesh was taken from my leg, it is doing well. My neck however isn't doing as good. Seems the cranial nerve was upset and did some wierd things to my shoulder. My trap seems to have just vanished and my scapula rotates out of position. I am doing exercises for these problems despite using all my PT insurance coverage.
Despite any problems I have, I consider myself very very lucky. There were no signs in my 37 nodes removed of the cancer. And I did not need radiation as they were discussing. I will have to make a choice soon as to whether I want the plastic surgeon to cut out the extra and sculpt my face to match other side or just leave it. I don't know if I ant to mess with it. Kinda getting used to the swollen jaw look.
My bottom right lip is still pretty much dead and may never come back. Sensation is slowly coming back to my cheek though shaving is still an adventure. My right side of tongue got it's feeling back within 2 months of surgery.
I am sorry that I kinda rambled here. Hope this in some way helps you.
God bless, Curtis

The Outdoor Texan
AJ Offline

HI Cindy, I also had very very similar operation on lower left jaw ib Oct 2000, but bone was from hip and skin from left arm. Approx 13 hour op, with Trach an feeding tube. In hosp for 12 days.
Trach was uncomfortable, but bearable. Had 15 lymphs removed and just one was cancerous. I gambled and refused radiotherapy, and fortunately no cancerous growths have appeared since. Just 3 small benign growths. They took the nerve out of left side of lip, which afffects smiling etc
Hope all goes well.
AJ
T3N1M0 Lower left jaw Oct 2000. Male, age 59 now, retired.

CindyD Offline OP
OP Offline

I am so sad to say that my dad passed away on Easter Sunday. Last 2 weeks, acted very strange and wanted to go home??? We had to sedate him because he was going to hurt himself. He passed away on Easter Sunday to this horrible disease but, what a great day to pass on....

I pray for each of you fighting this disease and thank all of you for your support. This site has helped so very much with our fight of oral cancer!

Thanks.

JAM Offline

Dear Cindy, Please know that your family has many heartfelt wishes coming your way. We know what a fight you all went through. Please be an activist in whatever way you can to help others combat this form of cancer . It is so important. Amy in the Ozarks.

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users