Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cnilson Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Long story...I"ll try to make it short and to the point. Husband had tongue cancer 2002. Complications lead to jaw surgery June 2004. Had stroke during that surgery. Can move left hand very little. HBO dives have been recomended to try to repair tissue in brain to help with movement. Anyway, one doctor told us that HBO can cause the cancer cells (if any are laying around) to grow. This seems possible to me. This is why we havent really thought about this until this new doc brought it up. (he has had really good results with his stroke patients.) I know a lot of you have had these treatments what do you think?? Has anyone else ever heard of this?? Of course I am worried about him having these treatments since this doctor said this. By the way, I really cant stand this doctor even before he said this. We dont see him anymore.
I would like to know if anyone has ever been told this?
Thanks,
Cheryl

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Cheryl, I do not have an scientific answer for you. I had HBO a couple of years ago. At that time I asked the supervising physician about that, and he said there was no evidence to that effect, and it seemed to be a groundless worry circulating among patients. I am fine, for whatever that is worth. If I need it again, I will not hesitate.

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

There is no eveidence to substanciate that claim. In the most general terms 02 treatments will increase ciruculation overall. Could that have a positive effect on cells growth of ALL kinds. Yes. Does that mean that it will accelerate any existing cancers? Not proven to do so in evidenced based research. If you need 02 treatments for something, this is going to outweigh the fact that it is benefiticial to all cell types, including those that circulate in your bloodstream as part of your immune system.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

I have heard that also but if Brian doesn't have hard numbers for that then I would presume the risk of having HBO for certain medical issues would be less then the benefit. All decisions for anything medical have to weigh the risk vs the benefit.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I am going through HBO treatments now and am on day 6 of 30. I asked my Oral Surgeon this exact question and he pretty much said exactly what Brian has said. I also asked the doctor who is in charge of the HBO treatments at Millard Fillmore hospital in Buffalo and he also said that there is no evidence of this and that the benefits freatly outway the risks. I hope that they are right on this.
lenny

Hi Lenny,

I went through 33 HBO treatments for a fistula that developed after radiation. It has not only healed the fistula, but improved my ability to eat, and softened the scar tissue. My doctor said that cancer cells do not like oxygen, and cannot grow in that environment. Keep up with it, it helps!
Take care,
Joyce

Diagoned with SCC left lateral tongue 01/05: Partial left neck dissection, partial glossectomy. Lymph glands cleared. Reoccurence in June 05 on tongue base:radiation x33 plus chemo. Started treatment on my 35th birthday! On the road to recovery...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23