Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#70569 02-25-2008 08:30 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

I am thinking my Dad is going to need to do this. He has lost about 50 pounds now!! frown

Just wondering if anyone has used it and if they could share experiences? Thanks in advance. smile

Dad: Age 65 Heavy smoker/drinker. Biopsy-No surgery. Cancer base of tongue/throat. "Invasive Squamous Carcinoma RRT" --Beginning 1/9/08: IMRT treatments (5X/wk),chemo pills (4/day) and Chemo IV (once/wk) PEG tube inserted 1/25/08. Treatments ended 2/26/08

JUNE 30, 2008 Officially CANCER FREE!!!

Hi, I used overnight feeds all the time I had the PEG tube. I was sleeping fairly propped up anyway, to help with the coughing and swelling. I don't remember any particular problems. I was waking up a few times a night at that time anyway.

I was on 1500ml of concentrated feed per day, so I set my pump to 150ml/hr, so it would complete in 10 hours. I needed the 10 hours in bed in those days because of the fatigue and interrupted sleep.

Hope this helps!

John

SCC tongue, partial glossectomy / neck dissection March 07, radiotherapy & chemo April/June 07.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi, I never did try to use the overnight PEG because you have to sleep half sitting up to do that and I just couldn't imagine sleeping at all well that way. I know many many people do it that way, though, and if the rate of food going down the tube is set low enough, it is a good way of avoiding the nausea from gravity-feed PEG feedings that some people get.

I hope you get some more responses from people here who have direct experience with this.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I had a PEG and we were initially set up to do overnight feeding. If I remember correctly I used it once or twice and then discontinued it and just did it by myself with the big syringe. (I did not have problems with the speed using the syringe method).
For the overnight feeding you want to be sitting up a bit (pillow). I am sure others who used the PEG extensively will pipe up.

FIY. there is also something called benecal that you can feed via the PEG it has a very high calorie content per volume and appears quite oily.

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.

My husband used overnight feedings through a gastro-jejunostomy tube (tube is placed in the stomach and passed through to the jejunem) without difficulty and just used 2 pillows for sleeping. He was not able to tolerate being propped up to sleep. We ran the feeding with a Compat pump and at no more than 115cc/hour. That meant running it for 12 hours at a time but then he was off for the 12 hours of day time. There are feeding pump kits now that can be carried in a backpack making daytime feeding more portable.

Caregiver to husband Dx. Stage 4 SCC of gingiva with 3 nodes pos. Partial mandiblectomy with bone graft from iliac crest Dec. 2006. IMRT x30, Cisplatin x3. Completed Tx. March 15, 2007. Osteonecrosis & removal of graft & plate Oct. 2007. Recurrence of SCC Dec. 2007. Deceased Jan. 17, 2008.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I used the overnight method as well, I'd load 4 cans of product in the bag, get compfy and turn it on. I sleep in a big mans recliner (almost a single sized bed) and other than a nature call I'd sleep all night. Then at work I'd bring one of the 560cal Carnation units and one of the feeding syriges plus an extra bottle of water...and when the gang goes to lunch, I load mine up and enjoy it while I surf the net.

Stage 4b BOT and node on right of throat. did 38 trips of TOMO PEG tube,Cysplatin,Taxotere & 5fu 1st 4th and 7th week, changed to Erbitux for the last 4 weeks. 1st PETS since end of TX..CLEAR 6mos out and 2 nodes are hot. Bilateral neck dissection on 10/31/08. Clear Scan 3/31/09 & 8/02/2010
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

I have used the overnight feeding machine for my PEG tube for several months. This would be something that would greatly help your father. It works much better than the gravity method or using the syringe to push the formula in. It will make it easier to digest and its much slower so wont cause nasuea. Just make sure to still flush the tube at least every morning with water. Your father must also sleep inclined, it doesnt require sitting up. I sleep on my back with two pillows and it works fine. The machine looks complicated, but it is very easy to operate.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi there, Larry's daughter. Let me reassure you that the overnight PEG feeding literally saved me from starvation. I couldn't tolerate syringe feeding (too much, too fast) and had to use a very slow feeding rate, almost 24/7. Even with it, I lost too much weight. Do get your dad hooked up so his body can enjoy some regular nutrition! That little pump is amazing. We're so lucky to have the opportunity to use it. Please let us know how it's working out, okay? We're thinking of you and your dad, and praying that the overnight method works great for him.

Non-smoker non-drinker, 50 when diagnosed 9/11/06 stage IV scc of oropharnyx, malignant lymph nodes both sides of neck. Cause=HPV16. Daily chemo & daily IMRT for 7 weeks. In 2 clinical trials at Johns Hopkins, good results. Peg tube out March 07. Update September 2014: gratefully in good health!

i used an overnight feed pump for about 6 months. it was great! just pour the supplement into the bag, set the pump and go to sleep. eventually i realized that i could do one feeding just before bed and sleep through the night without the pump. your body usually tells you what it needs. at least that was the case with me. good luck!

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.

LarrysDaughter:

I am new to this site but the Peg Tube has been near and dear to me for about 12 months. I know the process of the peg tube helped my father in law get nutrition through some of his rough times (IE- radiation and chemo) when he was not able to eat.

Again as I am new I am not sure if you where able to read a post I made of his issues? I am attaching a response I just sent to a nice lady (misskate) who responded to me with some of the issues she had in regards to being active while having the tube in. I am not sure how active your father is but I am quickly finding out more information is helpful even if sometimes it does not apply to your situation.
thank you for your response. My father in law had similar problems with clothes, etc, pulling on the tube causing discomfort and he also developed an irritation from the tape as he started out doing the same thing. As I mentioned his tube fell out after some activity which was painful as well as costly.
The cancer is very unfortunate but some good has potentially come out of it hopefully for many individuals with PEG tube issues.
My wife and her Father became entrenched in deigning a device to help him remain active with his Peg tube and it has brought them closer together.
I am trying to gather some feedback from individuals like yourself about their experiences with the feeding tube as well as get the word out about our device, while remaining respectful of the purpose of this website. We do feel that we have designed a belt we are calling "The Peg Belt" which will help individuals with feeding tubes enjoy their active lifestyle.
My father in law wore the belt for about three months before having his tube removed and he loved the belt because the design keeps the tube isolated from everything. We have re-designed the belt four times and think we have it.
Again, my goal is to respect this website and it's purpose. However, at the end of the day we feel we have designed a device that will help people with peg tubes stay active. I strongly feel my father in law is doing as well as he is because he refused to stop golfing and exercising. Our website is www.thepegbelt.com if you would like more information.

Again, I appreciate the feedback very much and wish you and all who read this the very best of luck with whatever they are going through. Any additional feedback would be very much appreciated.

Todd
father in law- stage 4 Esophageal and Gastric Cancer- was heavy smoker
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320