Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BiC Offline OP
OP Offline

I found 3 spots on the inside of my left cheek.
Sort of dark in color. I plan to see a dentist in the morning to have them removed and biopsied.

Also, the past couple years, I've experienced some tightening/pain on the left side of my neck-possibly where the lymph node would be located under my jaw. It seems I have to "massage" this pain out when it does occur. I did see a doc about that a couple years ago and he attributed it to sinus drainage.

Please give me your experience & thoughts.

God Bless

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

BiC - My journey started with an earache and some tenderness in my left neck. My ENT found the primary in my tongue, mets to left neck lymph. Don't ignore symptoms, but don't over react. Remember, it isn't cancer until somebody takes a slice of it and looks in a microscope. It is my hope that your sinuses are acting up again. Be strong. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It could be staining from fillings. I would see an ENT however. Dentists don't see enough cancer patients to make a reliable diagnosis.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Hi BiC,

A further explanation of what Gary said is that you "may" have amalgam tatoos in your cheek. This can occur when an amalgam (silver) filling is being removed from your tooth and the cheek tissue is scratched. The small particles from the amalgam can become embedded in the cheek during healing and cause a permanent stain. These may have been there for years and you might not have noticed them. Or, perhaps you recently had a filling changed.

It is wise to get them checked in order to rule out cancer as oral cancer can manifest itself as a dark area. Most dentists have seen amalgam tatoos and can tell by their appearance and texture if that is what you have. A biopsy may very well be indicated.

Please let us know what you find out.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

I forget to add that an x-ray taken through the cheek can show if there are amalgam particles embedded in the tissue.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
BiC Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanx for the replies.

As for the more obvious spot, it turned out to be a blood blister. It is now gone.

As for the other 2, the dentist believes they are amalgam tatoos. They are near an area where I had extensive crown lenthening surgery along with a crown.

I will make it a point to get an x-ray to make for sure. That will have to wait until I return home after May 18- I am in the Air Force and currently "on the road".

Once I return home, I will also make an appointment with a throat doc to see what's going on in my neck.

I will keep you updated so we can all learn from my situation.

Thank you & God Bless.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics