Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thalia Offline OP
OP Offline

Z just started on a low dose tricyclic anti-depressant, Elavil
(amitriptyline). It helps him sleep and seems to raise the pain threshold for many conditions that produce low grade but chronic pain. It seems to be helping at least a little so far. I think it also helps with the low grade (mostly!) psychological pain and anxiety. He only take 10mlg, about 1/10th what people take for depression..but still. It has no major side effects and has been used for decades. Any one else out there tried it?

~thalia
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

RO prescribed anti-depressant for husband - Paxil. It seems to work well and has just taken the edge off the depression. It took a couple of weeks to "kick-in" though, which is common with anti-depressants.

Have you searched it here and on google? You can usually find good info on medicine online.

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

Ed, Thanks for your reply. My Family Doctor gave me a perscription for Cymbalta 30mg a day which he thought might help the neuropathy symptoms which he believes can be aggrevated by depression and stress. After 2 weeks I feel like their has been some improvement without any side effects for me. I'll keep you posted on my progress with using this drug. Steven

SCC Base of Tongue
Stage IV T2N2bM0
IMRTx32, Cisplatin x3
Diagnosed 1/25/07
Treatment Completed 4/20/07
Scans all good as of October,2011
Thalia Offline OP
OP Offline

Well I think the Elavil is helping...at least a little. Z's right hand isn't as bad as his left and the tingling seems to be fading just a bit. Just wanted you all to know. And...we had another good visit with the head and neck doc...he's the "head" of this Department. We seem him every six weeks through the first year and then every three months. Z's only had one scan but it came out clear. I think we lucky to have this very close physical monotoring. The doc really checks him out and likes looking and feeling better than scanning (too many false posatives).

~thalia
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916