Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73839 04-29-2008 06:54 AM
cray Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

My husband has Nasopharynx Cancer which is rare and hard to understand treatment. At first he was told 35x 3 doses Cisplatin. He had a hard time as expected but when it was over(2/19/08) he started to feel better every day. THen the MO urged him to do adjunctive therapy with 3 large doeses 5FU and Cisplatin 3/10/08). As many of you may already know he had a terrible reaction due to lack of DPD in his DNA 9 days in hospital and almost died. Now he is suffering from neuropathy (numbness hands and feet) so the doctors want to change chemo plan to 6 weeks of Carboplatin/Erbitux. Understand that there is no signs of cancer in most recent MRI or PET scans and the cancer was discovered early. Craig (husband) is very depressed and still suffering with effects of previous chemo. He doesnt want to do any more chemo or so he says. He is having panic attacts and very negitive attitude about everything. At what point do you say enough and at what point do I back off and let him make the decision to stop the chemo and deal with what comes.

THanks for your help!
Cindy

cray #73841 04-29-2008 08:45 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Oh Cindy - I have no help to offer because we haven't been faced with that yet. I am thinking of you and sending big cyber (((hugs))). I'm interested to see how the more experienced respond.

I think ultimately though - if he understands the choices/options - it is his decision.

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

luvmyhubby #73842 04-29-2008 08:53 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Cindy- I'm so sorry for you both. If there are no signs of cancer, that doesn't mean it isn't there lurking. My husband had metastasis that showed it's horrible self only a few months after his last good scan. The Erbitux will possibly have some painful side effects. My husband had cracking skin and pain in his feet and it did not slow his metastasis at all. In fact, it got worse. However, he says he would not have changed anything because at least the doctors tried. Maybe your husband could benefit from some therapy. I hate to think of him giving up but I know how good it feels to not be going thru chemo. Keep us posted.
Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
suemarie #73869 04-30-2008 02:58 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Cindy,

Unfortunately this question can't be answered by anyone here. If you are uncomfortable which the doc's reasoning and you have asked him/her at length why, then perhaps you need to get another qualified opinion.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #73874 04-30-2008 03:39 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi, Cindy,

My husband had induction chemo (cisplatin, 5-FU, and taxitore) PRIOR to beginning his 35X radiation/3x cisplatin. His doctor's thinking was that the stage and location of his tumor (Stage IVb tonsils but spreading to Pterygoid muscle) that the induction chemo would shrink the tumor and perhaps just as important- reduce the likelihood of metastisis. I know others on the board have received a similar protocol. I agree with David that it seems that you are unsure with the reasoning for this treatment plan Did they see things that concerned them somewhat at the end of the radiation/cisplatin? Because two of the chemos your husband is/has been receiving can cause neuropathy (i know one is cisplatin and I believe the other is 5-FU) your husband may be getting side effects (neuropathy) that many on here did not get. My husband didn't really notice it until he was done with treatment and it really bothered him but physical and occupational therapy helped a lot and I believe his nerves are regenerating now and it will continue to get better. My husband had much more extensive treatment than many on this board and as a result he has had more side effects (many already gone such as anemia) than others but so far, all of his scopes and scans have been fine and we keep reminding ourselves that that is what is most important. I can certainly empathize with you and your husband with the neuropathy. It does get better but the reality is that large doses of chemo and radiation cause damage to perfectly good tissue and nerves with the kind of treatment we have all gone through.

Let me know if I can offer support or ideas around the neuropathy.

Warmly- Sophie

Sophie T.

CG to husband: SCC Stage 4, T4, N1, M0; non-smoker and very light social drinker; HPV+
induction chemo begun 7/07; chemo/radiation ended 10/10, first cat scan clear; scan on 5/9/08 clear, scan on 10/08 clear; scan 1/09 clear; scan 1/10 clear; passed away July 2, 2016

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics