Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73793 04-28-2008 05:15 AM
LauraT. Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi, Im not sure if Im posting this in the correct forum or not. But, I have a question to all of you before I have a biopsy this afternoon. Im a little over a year post radiation tx and having a biopsy for a lesion on the roof of my mouth. My doctor said it is too small for a fine needle biopsy so will cut and cauterize (if necessary). Is this normal? He isn't my original doctor and did not see me until 6 months post radiation tx. I just worry about cutting into radiated tissue...already had a problem with a *hole* that exposed bone in my jaw for a period of time. I had both cutting/cauterzing done with my tumor...and when biopsy was lost I had a needle biopsy. I was told then needle biopsy was just as effecient as cutting a sample. I feel fairly confident this is not a recurrence or new cancer. Im not 100% sure why, maybe it's denial. I feel pretty strongly about not cutting in my mouth...only if cancer is present, if needle biopsy can be performed.

It's not easy to get another opinion being that Im treated at a military facility. How small can a lesion be to recieve a needle biopsy? This is maybe the size of the tip of a pencil eraser. If you have had a biopsy post rad tx, how was it handled and if you had cauterization, did it work okay?

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated!!!
Laura

Laura T T2NOMO Small Salivary Gland Cancer
LauraT. #73795 04-28-2008 06:48 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Laura, I had a scalpel biopsy of my tongue about 6-7 months post radiation and it healed just fine. Had another one about 6 months ago and again, it healed just fine. I've also had issues healing at times but neither biopsy gave me any issues.

Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
minniea #73800 04-28-2008 07:59 AM
LauraT. Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Minnie. It makes me feel a bit more at ease with having a scapel biopsy. Im having a lot of anxiety right now...Im a worry wart, big baby. Scared of biopsy,my trismus interferring, not healing, PAIN,infection,and yes even though my instinct tells me it's not..that c word is there too.

It's just that I wish I could put cancer out of my life forever. Im sure all of us feel that way. Time for me to toughen up and get to my appointment.

Laura T T2NOMO Small Salivary Gland Cancer

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users