Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Missymoo #73071 04-15-2008 04:11 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Sorry, but I have to chime in here. I spent 20 years as a litigation attorney, including defense of medical malpractice cases. Nobody should be expressing views on whether or not anybody has a claim for malpractice here. Those are considerations vastly too complex for this forum, and are dependent on facts none of us possesses at this point.

I was visiting my ENT annually and having a scope done, due to sleep apnea related issues. It was about 6 months from the time of my last exam with him until the time the anesthesiologist discovered my tumor, about 2 cm. Did I have a claim? Maybe yes, maybe no. It was more important to me to devote my energies to treatment, revcovery and living the best life I could. I know my ENT was shaken by the diagnosis, and may well fear a suit, but that's not where my head is.

Sorry, but we shouldn't practice either medicine or law on these forums.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Missymoo #73091 04-15-2008 09:05 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello,
The biopsy shows squamous cell carcinoma. Anyone who can share any stories of hope I'd love to hear them.

Daughter of father (71) who has SCC in cheek, hyoid bone and lungs. 3 X paclitaxol and carboplatin every 21 days.
Missymoo #73098 04-15-2008 10:42 AM
OP Offline

If anyone re-reads my original post or any one after that they would see our family is NOT interested in suing ANYONE for malpractice. We just want him aware that if someone presents themselves with oral pain and trouble opening there mouth maybe it would be a good idea to look further and maybe even feel the neck for enlarged lymph nodes. I'm not a doctor but but even I know that much.

Last edited by Missymoo; 04-15-2008 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Daughter of father (71) who has SCC in cheek, hyoid bone and lungs. 3 X paclitaxol and carboplatin every 21 days.
Missymoo #73100 04-15-2008 10:50 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

I am sorry to hear about the biopsy results. Has he been scheduled for a PET/CT scan and any more doctor appointments? Please post all your questions and cercerns as we are here to help and guide you and your father.

Tom
SCC T4N1M0 left side tongue & 1 node
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
40 Tx IMRT @ 70 Gy started 06/25/07
Cysplatin & 5fu 1st & 4th wks
treatment ended 08/23/07
TomK #73183 04-16-2008 12:34 PM
OP Offline

Hello,
Dad had a PET scan today, he finds out the results next week. He did look at the CT scan results and read that there was metastasizing into a lob. I'm assuming that means the lung. My dad also has a spot on the side of his lip that looks like chelitis, except the skin looks black. I'm wondering if that is where this all started.

Missymoo #73184 04-16-2008 01:04 PM

Lets all relax a little bit . This is supposed to be a supportive enviorment where people can share thier experiences and stories. I don't think anyone is telling anyone what to do OK????

You can absolutely write the Doc and bring it to thier attention let them know what happened so that they know what they overlooked so it hopefully won't happen again.I definitely plan on doing that too. I was just recounting my experiences with pursuing medical malpractice which were very upsetting as I defintiely had a very obvious case of misdiagnosis that has changed my life forever. I identify with feeling very angry adn sad that my health was further endangered due to a wrong opinion. . A site like this is for sharing our experiences with this disease. I wasn't giving legal or medical advice just informing of what I went through.

I absolutely know your frustration and exasperation very well. I was so so sick, not getting better fmr antibiotics and had a huge weird lesion on my tongue throat and extreme throbbibg ear pain yet I had to go to the Dr.3 times to finally get referred to a ENT who took a biopsy. I didn't fit the demographic being young and a non smoker. This general practictioner was reccomended to me through my OBGYN and had a good reputation too. Its a tough thing to go through.

My tumor was advanced stage 2/3. I had surgery radiation and chemo and a year later although my life has changed a lot (I have no tongue) but I'm doing really well now. Just take things as they come and stay strong and positive! There is always hope. KATE

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
misskate #73189 04-16-2008 03:30 PM
OP Offline

Thank you Kate for sharing your story. This is such a stressful time for the family, the siblings are all fighting. Some kids dont want dad to know what squamous cell carcinoma is and some want to tell him the truth. He wants to know the truth. If we do say anything negative we are being screamed at. Everyone here is angry and upset and taking it out on each other. That is horrible, dad would object but of course no one is telling him because he has more important things to worry about.

Missymoo #73193 04-16-2008 04:23 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I'm so sorry your family is fighting right now. I think it's pretty normal - even though this is a sickness and not a death there is still greiving to be done and anger is a very normal part of that process. Maybe everyone could step back and breath over the weekend. Do yall have a clear understanding of who will be your dad's primary caregiver, who will go to all the appointments and ask questions, be his advocate, etc. In my opinion that person gets the most weighted vote on what to tell your dad. And I'm sure your dad is not an idiot, I would assume he knonws something is going on and would appreciate the truth. My husband knows what he has and that it is very serious. He doesn't know the stats and prognosis conversation I've had with his docs, but that point is not as necessary or as value-added right now. This treatment is sheer hell and the patient needs to know that this is very serious so they don't decide to stop or not have the treatment, but there is no need to add to their emotional pain right now by telling them stats say they have x-percent. Besides they are people not stats. If he wants to point blank ask you - tell him you don'nt know - to ask the doctor. The doctor will know how to best answer your dad.

I hope I didn't come across as too aggressive or know it all. I am truly concerned for your father and your family and I have added you guys to my prayer list. I lost my mom to cancer and was co-caregiver with my father (I even moved in). And it's a really hard thing to watch your parent go through. It is killing me now with my husband, but in certain ways it was harder with my mom.

Anyway - I digress and have started rambling so I'll close now. Just know that this is a wonderful place to be and we will all do everything we can to support you. Please keep us posted.

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

luvmyhubby #73198 04-16-2008 04:46 PM
OP Offline

Thank you Michelle, not at all too aggressive or a know it all, this is what I needed to hear. Especially about the people not being stats. Thank you

Missymoo #73200 04-16-2008 05:21 PM

I was reading some stuff on the OCF site and came across a section you may want to read. here is the link - the whole segment is good, but if you are pressed for time scroll down and read the last two paragraphs from the bottom. They may help wiht your family. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/emotional/the_family.htm

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/emotional/the_family.htm

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics