Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73023 04-14-2008 12:03 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hey gang - Dan's radiation burns (I guess burns is the correct term) on his neck are worrying me. The skin is cracking and peeling and small blisters and there is a ton of dead skin and behind his ear it is draining and bleeding. Last week before it was this bad they prescribed Silvadene cream. It has gotten worse over the weekend and now causes quite a bit of pain. Dan said he asked the RO nurse about it this AM while there for treatment and she said just to wash with mild soap and water and apply the cream. He told her he thought it would be better to let it dry out and scab over instead of applying the cream 3-4 per day as prescribed. She said he could do that if he wanted to. I have not seen it yet this evening as he is still at work mad but my question for all of you is - does that sound like adequate wound care? I am worried that we don't clean it differently or bandage it. His WBC Friday was 2.5 - won't that make him more susceptible to an infection?

I am curious for those of you that had these burns, how were you treated?

We meet with the RO tomorrow morning and on my list of questions I want to make sure I can intelligently discuss these burns and the best options to care for the wound(s).

Thanks!!!!!

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

You get um girl.

My husband didnt have surgery but his skin got bad. He used the cream and it got ugly (spotted) and better very quick. With that said I would be very concerned about the wound itself.

Yes that WBC is in the careful range. Lots of hands washing and at times we wore mask. I always notice that Craig is more crabby when the blood counts are low. When RBC is low he is VERY depressed.

Just as a note that things will get better, my husband ate cottage cheese with peachs and tuna fish on lettuce today. Small steps!

Everyday is different and good luck with the Dr tomorrow
Cindy

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320