Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#70964 03-04-2008 12:57 AM
AdeleE Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I am try to find some information about manual lymph drainage, post salivary gland cancer. For some reason since my original surgery back in 06, I keep getting inlarged lymph nodes around the orignal incision site. I had one big one removed last fall and it showed no further cancer (Yeah!) however they keep swelling. I had the lymph drainage last week and of course now I am afraid I may be spreading the cancer. Has anyone had this therapy does it help or should it be avoided?
Signed, always a little scared!!!

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

If you are talking about lymphatic drainage massage therapy, I had an ENT at a top hospital recommend this to me as one way to help because I had (still have?) lymphedema around my lower tongue which may be part of what is impreding my swallowing.

With all the massage therapists around where I live (there is a massage shcool in my city so there are scads of them), I was only able to find one trained in lymphatic drainage. I saw her a couple of times and I didn;t notice any appreciable difference in my tongue or swallowing. It is a very gentle massage tehcnique, though, and she did teach me how to do the basics of it on myself, which I did.

I don't think it could hurt you.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Nelie #70985 03-04-2008 12:36 PM

I went to a Physical Therapist for this and it did help quite a bit. This has the added advantage of being paid for by insurance which I doubt that a massage is. The PT also did intra and extra oral massage to improve saliva and avoid trismus. Also stretched neck/arm muscles that were screwed up from neck dissection. I'd talk to my doctor about getting a script and a recommendation to PT who does this. You should also have cleared massage with him before having it.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I had it done after a surgery where my lymphatic system was impaired (not Cancer related), and it worked wonders. I would check and see if you cannot get it covered through your insurance. The benefits were fantastic, but it got to be very expensive as I paid out of pocket each time. There were not too many skilled in it in my area either. I wish you luck with it! smile

Dad: Age 65 Heavy smoker/drinker. Biopsy-No surgery. Cancer base of tongue/throat. "Invasive Squamous Carcinoma RRT" --Beginning 1/9/08: IMRT treatments (5X/wk),chemo pills (4/day) and Chemo IV (once/wk) PEG tube inserted 1/25/08. Treatments ended 2/26/08

JUNE 30, 2008 Officially CANCER FREE!!!
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I found a person trained in manual lymph drainage in my area from the Academy of Lymphatic Studies website.
http://www.acols.com/
I selected "find a therapist" then entered my zip code and received the name of a trained therapist by return email.

I've just begun therapy and I'm pleased so far. The only down side is that the therapist is a massage therapist not a physical therapist so my insurance doesn't pay.

marilyn

dx: Stage 3 T2N2aM0 Left tonsil, base of tongue, 1 left node. HPV positive.
tx: Tonsilectomy (left) then Cisplatin x2, Erbitux x7, IMRT x35
Phase 3 clinical trial. Completed 6/28/07
mshoe #71355 03-12-2008 12:43 AM
AdeleE Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your replies. I have been reading about this terapy and I think I will give it a try. Also, massage will hopefully breakdown some of the scar tissue in my neck.
Went for my check up yesterday with Oncolgist and seems I am okay and FREE for another 4 months!!! Yippee.
Wishing you all well.

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!

Dr JohDavidPollock is upset with the James Cancer Center at Ohio State for not admittt9ng to him that I have Cancer below my right ear and needs surgery.I wonder why it is when you are one of the big guns,, it getsharder to admitt a misatke.I shouod havd beeen finishin this treatment instead fo jts starting thme.Time to shake the BUSH maybe.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users