Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#71296 03-10-2008 04:14 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

My hubby came home this evening complaining of a bad sore throat. He said he mentioned it to his ENT today at surgery follow-up and they went ahead and swabbed his throat and it was negative for strep. So my question is could it be the radiation/chemo this fast? I wouldn't think so and wasn't expecting anything this fast.
Thanks,
Michelle

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

I felt a slight difference in my throat after the first rad Tx but I just went with the flow. I really started feeling a sore throat after 10 rad Txs and some here didn't get bothered until later so it is what it is as each of us can react differently.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

This appears to be quite variable. I felt essentially nothing for the first 9 treatments. (I had 3 rads then a break for a week. After the 9th radiation my taste buds went south within a few hours. Breakfast ok. Lunch ..... what the hell did I just eat to metallic cardboard in the evening. real irritation started for me after the midpoint.

Markus

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
OP Offline

I so hope this is a cold and not early treatment effects. His throat is sore, coughing up mucous and he says cokes are burning his throat. No fever and the sore throat has not stopped his eating so it's not severe yet or anything but it's bothering him and he's getting pretty hoarse. It's frustrating of course that it is such a variable thing. I'm sure you have all felt the same way. Thanks for listening!!

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Any chance this is thrush?
Once I remember Mary's mouth didn't bother her, but her throat was sore and it ended up being a mild-moderate case of thrush.
At least worth checking out since this is usually easily dealt with....
Liz

CG to friend Mary. SCC Stage IV-A of rt. tonsil, mets. to lymph node on rt. DX 06/07,tonsillectomy 08/07, Chemo Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5FU X3 cycles; RAD completed 1/20/08 RND scheduled for 3/08. 54yr.old, NS, social drinker.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Michelle,

What has his RO said?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

He said yesterday when he went in for radiation he asked to see the RO and he breezed in and said go see your PCP. I asked Dan did he describe his symptoms and ask could it be early radiation effects - NO. I asked him did RO look in his mouth - no. Dan said he told him he had a cold??? I love my hubby alot, but he is HORRIBLE at communicating to docs, etc. that is why I don't let him go to most appointments on his own. Tomorrow we have labs, see both docs, the NP and have both treatments and I will be with him all day. We start at 8:00am so hopefully we will have some resolution before we leave the center.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Most of the time I was glad to have my wife along with me especially since we were able to write our questions down on the 40 mile trip to the rad Txs. Then we just rattled off the questions and she took notes. When she wasn't with me I tended to gloss over things only to wish later I had asked.

David

Michelle,
My 2 cents worth.
It is possible that his sore throat is due to the affects of chemo/rad treatment even this early in treatment. It is also equally as probable that he does, in fact, have a viral cold. A virus would be much more able to cause problems with cells and tissue that are being weakened by chemo/rad treatment.
Did they check for "candida" or thrush? It is uncommon but, thrush can occur in the throat with the primary symptoms mimicking that of a viral cold. Thrush does not always appear as a whitish area that can be wiped off. It can cause the tissue to become red, inflammed and painful without the classic appearance.
Check with his docs.
I am 100% in agreement with David. If you can, you need to be there with your husband. When I was left to go to appointments by myself I went into a "bubble" and never got all of my questions answered or never asked. My wife would be very irate with me when I got home. After two of these sessions she made sure she was at my appointments even though I told her it was unnecessary. I realize now the benefit of her attendance.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
OP Offline

I'm with you guys about being with him. We had thought that for these early quick radiation appointments that he would take himself and I would go with him always on chemo days and always on days when he had a doc appointment. It's tough logistically sometimes with our toddler son. But now I realize that I am just going to have to make it work and go with him to every appointment. Thanks for all your replies and I will definately ask about thrush tomorrow morning. We'll be at the cancer center pretty much all day tomorrow so we better know an answer when we leave :-)

Michelle,
I agree that it is better for both of you to be there when you see a physician. It is amazing how colored the perception is, even if the terminology is not an issue. I saw my RO only once a week and then only for 10 minutes or so. If that is the case for you then there is no pressing need to have to be there with him for all IMRT treatments. As long as he can handle the side effects and getting there is not an issue.
I personally appreciated the company of my wife for those times I had an appointment with a doc, but the other times I also appreciated some semblance of being in control and doing this by myself.

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
OP Offline

Hey Markus - your last sentence is kind of where we are. Dan is so used to doing for himself and for our family as well and not used to me taking care of him except in the normal ways of household help since I am a stay at home mom. He likes taking himself to the regular IMRT treatments - and I like him doing it as well, for as long as he's able. It's these "surprise" see the doc times that are messing me up :-)

OP Offline

Hey gang, Friday was our marathon day at the Cancer Center and the MO prescribed a z-pack, just to be safe. No signs of thrush. We didn't get to see the RO, he was out, but we will see him on Tuesday. The RO's NP said she expected it to hit next week based on where he's being radiated. So who knows what is what and when is when smile. I will have to work on my patience and learn to go with the flow and take one day at a time.

My side affects didn't hit me until after they were over. Believe me they were mild compared to the spaced out meds they put me under with. I think that is what got me so far down and made me fight. good luck u 2.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Robs side effects kicked in from day 3 and the rest of his tx was just a nightmare.It was thought a lot of his problems came from him being a pale skinned red head,but his throat hurt veryquickly as well.I went with Robin to every single visit,he was strong and idependant but this was so far out of his comfort zone he gladly left the doctor speak to me.The biggest problem wa getting him to do as he was told!!!!

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
OP Offline

Hey Liz - good to hear from you. Is it warming up there yet? When does spring start for you guys? We have azaelas, dogwoods and bradford pears in bloom now and things are looking good!

I swear sometimes I think men are as hardheaded as concrete - why can't they do what they are supposed to do? I'm already battling with Dan and then this morning I realized he didn't take his BP meds the past few nights and he has HIGH BP - I said I really don't want to be a naggy "witch", but this is IMPORTANT. UGH - just a quick vent.

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Aftre missing so much work I started having my husband put me on speaker phone before the doctor comes in. I miss so much when he is sick that I need to work when I can. I hope we have a couple vacation days left to relax on a beach someday.
Cindy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users