Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JoJo Offline OP
OP Offline

If anyone has any good ideas on quitting chewing tobacco, please help me. I've been chewing for about 14 years on and off and I can't quit. I say I'm going to, but I don't. I'm very angry and grumpy when I try to quit. I'm sure it's normal, but I need to stop. My kids ask me to all the time. I'm willing to try anything about now. I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, but if I don't quit: I'm sure I will. If you guys have any ideas please respond. Thanks!

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

JoJo, you have the right idea.

I suggest you read the following site, and then read it again when you feel yourself faltering.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/61599/Floridian/He_wanted_you_to_know.shtml

You are correct that it is most probably only a matter of time if you don't change your ways. We most certainly do not want you to be here seeking treatment information. That is meant in a kind manner.

In the article, there is an 800 number for the American Cancer Society to get information about resources available to help you.

As a former patient, I can only urge you to make quitting your number one priority.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Horror stories are somewhat effective, but ultimately it is up to you.
It is my understanding that the physical addiction is stronger from chewing tobacco than smoking.
You have made the ist step by declaring that you have a desire to quit, but do you really mean what you say. Somewhere in your mind there is doubt and until you come to face that doubt and be secure in yourself and your ability to be stronger than the addiction, you will fail. It is not easy, but you can do it.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

JoJo,

I smoked for approximately 15 years and quit last July (5 months before I was diagnosed with tongue cancer.) My advise: JUST QUIT! Let the love you have for you children be your inspiration. When I decided to quit smoking, I soon found that my physical addiction to cigarettes was not nearly as strong as I had thought. In fact, my body no longer craved the stuff after a week or so. The mental addiction, of course, was another matter. My mental addiction to smoking was based on associations I would make. For example, when I read, drove, or even drank a cold soda, I needed a cigarette. Breaking from these associations seemed impossible, but I succeeded. Today, I sip green tea when I read. smile

Another thing that helped was telling everyone I cared about (my family, friends, colleagues) that I had quit smoking. I was raised to keep my word, and hence I refused to be branded as some weak-minded individual who talks a lot of crap and can't be taken seriously.

If you hang in there long enough, you will notice that your cravings (along with your mood swings) will disappear altogether. In fact, it is possible (perhaps even likely) that you will develop an aversion to your current addiction. That is, you might one day see someone chewing, feel repulsed, and ask yourself, "WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING"?

Joanna, it's interesting that you posted that link. I actually saw that picture soon after I decided to quit smoking and it definitely solidified my determination to stay smoke free. Of course, I also find it bitterly ironic that I was diagnosed with cancer soon after I quit smoking--i.e., soon after I decided to not take my health for granted any longer.

JoJo, I wish you all the best. Be strong!

Gino

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

JoJO,

I was diagnosed with oral cancer 5 years after I quit smoking at the age of 34. I also chewed a bit many years ago, with an occasional cigar, even after dumping the dreaded cigs. My advice, the sooner you quit the better. My heart aches and I cringe when I see people putt in a "dip" or light up after my experience with this. I quit cigarettes using Zyban. It can also be prescribed as Welbutrin (an anti-depressant) so most insurances will cover. Talk to your doctor about the options, it can't hurt. Also, after I quit, I chewed a TON of HOT cinnamon gum. I think I had a piece (or two) in my mouth all day long, except when I was eating. After 2 weeks I remember saying, "if I had known it was going to be this easy after only 2 weeks, I would have quit long ago". Two weeks to a month is about when the mood swings ended as well. Prayer and meditation helped as well. Best of luck to you!!!

Rick

Rick T
Stage II SCC(T2N0M0). Dx:Jan.05 Surgical removal w/Neck Dissection (nodes clear) Feb 1,2005.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I personally found that the Nicotine Patches helped a bunch. Whatever brand you choose, stick with that brand and follow the plan they suggest. For me it was a "six-week 21mg followed by two weeks of 14mg then two weeks of 7mg then off" plan. Seems like a long time, but if you have used tobacco for a long time, it makes sense that it will take a while to get free of it. It's worked for a lot of people, and I for one didn't have as many mood swings on the patch as I did when I couldn't get my fix in time. (Talk about being bitchy!!)
Good luck whatever route you choose to take.
I know you'll quit!
Andrea

SCC L lat tongue,Dx 9/15/05 T1N0MX L MND and L lateral hemiglossectomy 10/03/05. Recurrence 11/15/06 2nd surgery 12/04/06 hemiglossectomy 3rd surgery 01/15/07 tonsillectomy Radiation 01/25/07 to 03/08/07 3-D/CRT X 30

Smoking was my friend for 30 years. It was woven into my life and habits in ways I didn't even see before quitting. My determination was always sufficient, my family was willing to put up with the withdrawl "grumpies", but quitting eluded me. Gum, pocket computers, patches, hypnosis and others too embarrassing to recount all failed.

For me, it came down to self respect. The dang things OWNED me and I knew it. The thought of being controlled by smoking got to me. The habit began as a demonstration of defiance, and was now a fully integrated addiciton. Like Luigi said, so many rituals - eat then smoke, start the car and light up, answer the phone and smoke. It was everywhere. I could not stand the idea of cigarettes controlling me.

I picked a date, my birthday, about two weeks away. I told EVERYONE that I was going to quit. I made lists of reasons not to smoke. I had my kids make lists for me. I accumulated them and carried them everywhere with me. The day before my birthday, I opened a new pack (my last) and enjoyed a couple of smokes. Just before midnight I took all but one of the things and made a pyre in my fireplace, and doused it with lighter fluid. I lit my last smoke, took a last drag and threw it and the match onto the pyre. I sat and watched till it was cold. I read all my lists and went to bed. Happy birthday. I still have those lists nearly 15 years later. You can do it. You must do it. Be strong. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.

Both of my grandparents quit smoking when I was young. My grandfather had smoked since he was a kid, and he quit when he was about 50. He just one day told us he was quitting, and he never touched another one. But he always kept one tucked behind his ear, like we will do with a pencil. My grandmother said he carried this habit for a long time, of keeping one behind his ear, he would put it there in the morning. He said it let him know he COULD smoke if he wanted to, the choice was his and nothing was being taken away from him. My grandmother quit about 5 years later, when my aunt got married. It's all she wanted for a wedding present, so how could my grandmother say no? She was a very heavy smoker, we all doubted she could do it. She did, with the help of tootsie pops. She said as long as she kept her hands busy, she could get through the craving. They are both in their 80's now!

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

JoJo, Please quit, I know it is easier said than done but you can do it! You must do it! I smoked from around age 18 til about age 26, got oral cancer age 44. Don't know if that was the only cause of my cancer but I am sure it didn't help. Be strong and go for it. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!SMILE!!!Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

My husband quit smoking in one day when this humongous lump popped out on his neck on Christmas Eve 2005. Unbeknownst to me, he knew there was something there prior to that, but didn't say anything....was waiting until the holidays were over?!?!! But to me, one day there was nothing, the next day there was a huge lump on his neck.
Anyway, to get to the subject of the post, when people ask me if there is anything they can do, I tell them, yes, please tell anyone you know who smokes or uses tobacco, to quit. To spare anyone from having to go through this oral cancer ordeal would be an accomplishment. I don't know if this sounds insensitive, I hope it doesn't, but I think that people who smoke and want to quit should visit or volunteer in an oncology center and see what people are going through. Visit a radiation clinic and look at the masks that are worn and the method of treatment. Until this happened to my husband, I would never have imagined what this process was like. To be honest, I have seen his mask and he has described to me the process of radiation, but I don't think I could even bear to look at him on the table. Please, please quit and spare yourself and your loved ones from possibly having to go through this treatment one day. Print out some of these posts and read them when you need encouragement. Eat candy, go for a walk, do crossword puzzles, chew your fingernails - do anything but chew tobacco! Have a list of things that you can do to redirect yourself when you get the urge - if one thing doesn't appeal to you, maybe the other will. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all who are going through kicking the habit. I know it's very tough, but nothing like what you could face if you don't quit. Good luck with this endeavor!
Michele

Michele, caregiver to husband, Jesse, SCC diagnosed 1/5/06 unknown primary, lf neck mass >6 cm. Chemo (Cisplatin 2x; Carboplatin & Taxol 2x) & XRT radiation 39X ending 4/4/06. Rad neck dissection 8.5 hrs 4/13/06. 30 HBO treatments Fall 2006.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics