Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#68664 01-28-2008 02:15 PM
JeffL Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

This darn disease (and the treatment) have the weirdest ways of jumping up and biting you in the rump.

I am now 6.5 months post treatment, with a scary PET scan in October followed by an "all clear" scan in December, and another good physical exam last week.

When I first finished treatment, I had a pretty good bout of depression, which you all told me could happen, then righted the ship and got along pretty well. The last few weeks, however, I find that I have been spending more time worrying about recurrence and the potential aftermath, with no good reason.

I read the posts of those less fortunate than I, and it just tears me up, and makes it a chore to even post this, as my concerns seem petty in comparison. Others have posted about feeling guilty over having relatively smooth recoveries, and I now understand that feeling. On the one hand, I know I can't let my guard down over this disease, but on the other hand, I need to give myself permission to live without looking over my shoulder constantly.

How do others get through this? Is this just one of those cyclical things that will come and go over time? Maybe just the winter doldrums, combined with seeing some bad things happen to good people recently.

Thanks, as always. As a midwestern male, not really used to wearing my emotions on my sleeve, as it were, but there they are nonetheless.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!

Jeff, your reference to "I read the posts of those less fortunate than I, and it just tears me up..." strikes a chord of familiarity with me, because I'm only eight weeks out of my first rad/chemo and am already back to work half-time every day. I haven't even had a follow-up CAT or PET scan yet. But I figure that whatever happens is going to happen, (que sera sera) and worrying about it isn't going to change the ultimate outcome. My worrying is about the new garden shed I haven't gotten built yet because this cancer had the nerve to show up last September and spoil my plans. I feel that the reason we worry is that we find ourselves with nothing better to do, it's that simple. And yes, I do sometimes find myself falling into that pit, but try my best to get out of it any way I can, get out, read a book, vacuum the house, ANYTHING to get back into a productive healthy frame of mind.

Sounds to me like you're experiencing some pretty typical reactions to your situation.

Tom Alexander
SCC Stage IV BOT, completed 35 Tx TOMO & 7 Tx chemo Taxol + Carboplatin 12/04/07. No surgery.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

The emotional roller-coaster is just part of the package, Jeff. Any time there is a life change or even just a change in routine, it comes with stress and can make one very depressed. BC (before cancer) I thought divorce was the most difficult and depressing event that could ever happen to me - it taught me that I could handle anything else that came along because it would be easier by comparison but when my son was diagnosed with SCC, the anxiety and sick feeling in the pit of my stomach were like nothing I had ever experienced before. After a lot of ups and downs on that roller-coaster, I began to hope and expect that things would get better. I treasured the good moments and hung on to them for strength during the difficult times. Jeff - you've had some good news recently with the Pet Scan and your good physical exam. Coming here helps to put things in perspective and to appreciate the good moments and to know that others understand. Things do get better!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

JeffL Offline OP
OP Offline

Tom -- you sound a lot like me. I never stopped working during treatment, drove myself to treatment, etc. I think part of my "overdoing" then is catching up to me now on the phsychological side. Congratulations on your completion of treatment and great attitude. You are right about staying active.

Anne-Marie --- Thanks for the reference check. You are an inspiration!!!

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Tom,

Your normal and you will be fine. We all think about the dark side. Your dealing with it just like you should and that's getting it out in the open and discussing it.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Jeff old buddy. I bet that everyone here worrys about the reoccurence thing. As for the tears, that's why we have feelings and the tears help us relax a little so we don't let the bottle develope too much pressure and explode.It's a pressure relief valve that God built into us. As for me, I seem to have a habit of pretending I'm fine and not worried, when truly I am. You are just another normal human being Jeff with normal feelings...

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Jeff you are human,just like the rest of us,and no matter how well your treatment and recovery went,you are an intelligent human being who knows only too well the pitfalls that may litter your road to being cancer free.It is very sad to read all the bad news around at the moment,and it must exacerbate your fears every time you see someone who is not as fortunate as yourself.

Try to look at your fear of recuurance like you would look at a fear of flying,every time you are going on a journey your mind fills with worrying thoughts and you can get very stressed out and frightened.Once you are up in the air,the fears subside a little and when you land you wonder what you were scared about.The strange thing is you feel the same every time.I guess every time you see someone who is not doing so well,the fears rush up to the suface again,but you are a suvivor,and will go on being one.You have always had a great attitude,and its ok to wobble now and then.

enjoy your health

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.

Cookey, why is it everyone tell us when we fly, not to worry about it and that if it's your turn to go you will and if not you won't? What if it's the pilots turn to die but not yours?? LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

OMG i never considered that Jim smile

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Jim,
That means the pilot will die and you will be a survivor! :-)

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users