Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67235 01-10-2008 04:26 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Some may think I am "beating a dead horse" but I would like to take somewhat of a survey if I may to include patients/survivors as well as care givers who might can answer. I would like to get some idea as to whether or not you were made aware of potential dental issues at any point during your pre-treatment indoctrination. This would include whether you were actually screened on-site by your treating facility, directed to go for a screening on your own or even if just a discussion was had regarding your dental health in general prior to starting treatment? It has been my overall impression after many months that most members here were orally screened/examined prior to radiation treatment. Your response would be most appreciated.

Bill Dozier

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Bill:
Yes, my RO explained all of the issues/concerns and sent me to my dentist for x-rays, a thorough cleaning, a checkup, flouride treatments to use during my TX period, etc. He also instructed me on what to let them know about my future treatments and that if there were any questions to page him and he would respond while I was there for my appointment to answer questions.
It was one of those "moments of fate" when my regular dentist was on vacation and due to needing this completed immediately I was sent to another location in the metro area. Once in the office, the attending dentist knew so much about what I was going through (and the journey I was embarking on) as her uncle had been an oral cancer patient while she was in dental school. She was well versed and very, very helpful making me feel very positive about going forward with TX and maintaining healthy teeth. I went back post TX and she had relocated back to her hometown which is a real bummer!! Both pre and post TX my RO has been all over the dental thing (My ENT has as well) both explaining as well as following up on my dental care and what I need to do in order to keep my teeth healthy. My speech therapist thought that a missing tooth on the side of my surgery (Lost it the spring prior to getting sick, probably due to the tumor, but we didn't realize it at the time), might help my chewing and swallowing if it was bridged. My RO has been involved in this process to the point of phone conversations with the dentist regarding exactly what he wants to do (Drilling, setting, bridging, etc).
Maybe I'm just fortunate with regards to my medical team being so involved with the dental aspect but it has truly been helpful to me. Both my RO & ENT look at my teeth and comment on them during every checkup!! Anyone reading this that is starting their treatments should be asking questions if they aren't given any information or insight on dental care and treatment. I hope this is what you were looking for and helps.

Regards,
Steve

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I was told to have my teeth checked prior to radiation tx.

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

did any one ever leave in dentures while rad.? I did was i not suppose to no one ever said anything.another stupoid/?.can you get thrush in your thraot to and it make your ears hurt
thank s for all the help love you all

Lolita - Stage 1, no node involvement, no distant mets. 6 weeks of radiation plus 6 chemo treatments, one each week.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Lolita,

My dad has a lower partial plate. He kept it in during his first round of radiation but experienced some irritation mid way through treatment. Because he started treatment with them in, he had to continue treatment with them in.

For this round of radiation he took them out.

I would check and see what your RO says.

Good Luck!

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I was never informed much about my teeth with the aug 3rd surgery, but since this reoccurence, Now that I need rad implants I have been told quite a few things including,, The Teeth have to go. Saw the oral surgeon this morning and he will remove all of them in the next few days. The implants shrink you gums and rot the teeth thereby causing infection. OC is bad enough without getting infections too. hope this helps somewhat.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

They (Kaiser P.) made me go to UCLA (pulled 3 teeth on the spot). They also made the stents, which I HAD to wear during Rad

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics