Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#67009 01-07-2008 02:25 PM
EzJim Offline OP
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

I went to the Radiologist today and it wasn't good news. I mentioned the pain on the right side of my tongue to him. He said well Jim you have cancer on both sides of it>>WOW. I told him The Dr at the cancer center didn't tell me that, so he showed me an operation report.. Sure enough..He said I have 2 options,, 1 is to take all of my tongue , no way,, the other is to get get chemo and implants in my tongue. 1st thing is to pull my teeth so they won't cause an infection.. This will be Jan 15th. Then when I see him for my next appointment he wants my family there so he can talk to them. He said that pretty girlfriend too . LOL.. told him she took off and he said probably too much pressure for her. He will do the implant for which I will be hospitalized for 3 days. He told me I might not remember those 3 days because I will be heavily sedated to ease the pain. Then he will give me Chemo somewhere in this time too for 3 weeks or so. I asked what my chances are and he said the most he can even think about is 75%. Of course I said do what you have to and can. I want another 20 yrs. I also told him I should have came to see him after surgery when he called my house to tell me the margins were too close not to have radiation. I had talked to my Dr at the James Cancer center and he said I didn't need it. He sure was wrong about that seeing as it is on both sides of my tongue now. I appologized to the Radiologist for not listening to him. He said don't appologize ,, we have more important things to talk about and do now.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim Offline OP
OP Offline

Forgot,, he also told me I would need a care giver with me most of the time.. that should be a fun job trying to find one. Too bad Barb was a easy early quitter, she was perfect the 1st time. If I can find someone just half as good as she was I will be fine.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
EzJim Offline OP
OP Offline

What a mind,, Dr in Columbus also took a piece of my tongue from both sides on the 3rd of Jan. Too many things going thru tis small brain to remember much at 1 time LOL

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hang in there Jim... my hubby had a stage IV base of tongue chemo and radiation no surgery and is now back to normal... well.. as normal as he ever was.
You have a lot to deal with but you will make it.

Marica

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jim

If there was anyway i could be there I would.... I feel so helpless and you have been so so GOOD to me. Things will work out though , you will have someone by your side...I mean with a personality like yours who wouldn't want to be !!!

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery

Hi Jim- Well way your options. do what you think is right. I have no tongue and I'm doing OK.

Hang in there I know this is hard.

K

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Jim i am so sorry you have to go through all this again.I often questioned why Robin didnt have chemo with his surgery and rx but i guess at the time these decisions seem to be for the best.Only time tells when they arent.
If i could i would jump on a plane and come stay with you,but i think i have spent enough time hiding abroad,its nearly time to go home and face life alone.

Its hard sweetie but you will find a way i am sure of that.

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
EzJim Offline OP
OP Offline

Awe man, you ladies almost have me in tears for being so nice and treating me so well. All I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart and wish I had you both for caregivers. Luv Ya all

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Jim...I'm just too emotional to respond to your news tonight...will do tomorrow. KNOW that you're in our thoughts and prayers!

Lois

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Tough news for sure Jim, but I know you are strong and can get through this. If I can - YOU CAN. We can cry on each others shoulders along the way and even if that isn't productive we will feel better smile

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics