Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#66946 01-06-2008 01:19 PM
x28007 Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I have been having difficulty swallowing in my throat lately. I am 6 mos post rad/chemo tx. I didn't have any surgery. The difficulty swallowing usually happens when trying to swallow chewed bean soups, etc. It happens sporadically, but when it does happen my husband has to do the heimlich maneuver. I'm pretty sure the choking is in the back of my throat aka oropharyngeal dysphasia. I am going to my oncologist next week and will tell him about it. Has anyone else had this problem? What can be done about it? Will it eventually go away?

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.

Hi X

I had the exact same symtoms that you mentioned but in my case the major culprit was bread of any kind. It would hang in the back of my throat, wouldn't go down. Sometimes I had lots of trouble getting it loose and coughed up. This really got my attention because it became more frequent and I almost choked couple of times. This brought me to an ENT who scoped my throat and found a tumor sitting on top of my epiglottis. The passageway or entrance to my throat was narrowed due to the tumor and for this reason i was having trouble swallowing certain items, specifically bread. Of course I then went for a biopsy to confirm. I don't want to alarm you with this information as I'm sure there are many other issues that would cause the choking that you describe. It was however, my only symptom. Hope this is of some help to you and good luck.

Age 67, SCC Larynx/Voice Box (T1-N0-M0)
Laser Supraglottic Laryngectomy 4/29/06.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

i have diffuclty swallowing at times. Iam almost 5 mos out of rad nad chemo.6weeks rad and 6 weks chemo. I had stage1t1a on my right vocal cord. I have some ear pain also
go back to ent on the 14th of jan
i know how you feel we all get so scared is this nightmare ever going to end .All reports have been good so far.

Lolita - Stage 1, no node involvement, no distant mets. 6 weeks of radiation plus 6 chemo treatments, one each week.

i dont want to scare you either mine started i became hoarse.Off and on for about 6mos
they did vocal cord stripping 2 or three it came back bad in june.never payed any attention to my mouth before.Thought it was bec of my bad smoking habit.That seem impossible to break. you are lucky you dont smoke
Wish i never did but at the time every one thought it was cool now it is costing us.

Lolita - Stage 1, no node involvement, no distant mets. 6 weeks of radiation plus 6 chemo treatments, one each week.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics