Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Robin Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi all. My sister, Reagan, underwent treatment for salivary cancer last year including surgery and radiation. I've posted here before and everyone was so wonderful with advice and support. She made it through the treatment and two weeks ago had an all-clear CT scan. Since then she's been throwing up (some blood), horrible back pain, and low grade fever. Finally yesterday it got so bad she went to Emergency where they did x-rays and another CT scan on her stomach. It showed multiple spots on her liver. The doctor told her he thought that maybe her salivary gland cancer had started with the liver cancer but it never was diagnosed. She has no insurance and I can't help but think they didn't run all the tests they would've on someone with insurance. Anyway, we're scheduled to get a referral tomorrow for an oncologist who treats liver cancer. I have no idea what to even expect now. But I guess I'll be saying goodby to this board and trying to find one that provides info on this other type of cancer. Thanks to all of you who've been so wonderful. You've got my admiration and respect and I hope that each and every one of you makes it through this horrible disease!

Robin
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I didn't know salivary gland cancer could start in the liver and I do wonder why they didn't do a CT of the liver when they did their staging of the salivary gland cancer (I had one when they did the staging). I hate to think that when a hosptial takes someone with cancer who has no insurance that they would cut corners on things like that but you may be right.

Your sister is lucky to have you as a loving caretaker. Both my siblings are on the opposite coast, although I did get a visit from my brother this summer, and I wish they had been closer during all this.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

Robin, we are all at risk for liver cancer due to the distant metastesis aspect of the disease. Some here have had treatment for the liver cancer issues so don't give up on us yet. Please keep us in the loop.

Please let Reagan know that we are keeping her in our thoughts and prayers.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Robin,

The ER doctor can't make a statement like that. I had a liver metastases removed 5 weeks ago, but it was a single spot. What is multiple? The liver can regenerate and can be treated. I had Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA). Look it up on Google and be prepared to ask about it. Calm down and don't run from this site. I have had cancer everywhere and it has ALL been metastatic from the head and neck. I would see if you could get a PET/CT scan to rule out other areas of concern. Just so you know, my liver tumor, 3CM, appeared in a few months and did not predate the head and neck cancer.

Glenn

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Good thoughts and prayers, to You and Reagan, from my family to yours
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
Robin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi guys! Thanks so much for the support and for the info, Glenn. I took my sister into the health agency that she has been being seen through. I guess I misunderstood - the report said they thought the liver cancer was metastisized from the saliva gland cancer and not the other way around. At any rate, thanks to this wonderful board, I knew enough to request a referral to a comprehensive cancer center. Wish we'd gone there at the start but things are so tough without insurance. They are supposed to call within 72 hours to set up an appointment. In the meantime, we got her some Percocet for the incredible pain she's in. Thanks again to all of you!

Robin
Robin Offline OP
OP Offline

Just wanted to let you know we met with the oncologist at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center. My sister has continued to deteriorate and is in intense pain. He said the cancer is in several spots on her liver and on her spleen. He's offered her the option of chemo to possibly shrink the tumor but not cure the cancer. She has been pretty adamant against chemo so I asked for a referral to hospice. The doctor told us without treatment that she's looking at a matter of weeks or a couple of months. Having done a lot of research over the past week I wasn't in shock, but I'm still very, very sad.

Robin

Robin,

I'm so very very sorry your sister's illness is at this point. This must be very ghard for you. It seems to me that the biggest thing you can do for her right now is to be sure she is not in unnecessary pain. Hospice people will know best how to control the pain but if there is any delay in getting her in a hospice somewhere, push whoever is giving her medications now for soemthing that is stronger. I realize complete pain management isn't always possible but it sounds like she's been shortchanged in thorough medical care already becuase she has no insurance, I hope that isn't happening again.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Robin
I am so sorry to hear this news . I know you and your family are in a lot of pain right now and wish there was a way for us to help.
You have been a great support for your sister, our thoughts are with you.
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
Robin Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful support you offer through this board. My dear sister passed away last night in hospice care.

Robin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users