Next Thread
Print Thread
#66111 10-16-2007 10:36 AM
for2or6 Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

I had my MRI last week and got the results. We consulted with the cardio/thoracic surgeon and he said the sarcoma isn't involved with the nerves and veins in my shoulder as it looked like on the CT scan. It is however wrapped around the collarbone and he is proposing surgery to remove that part of the collarbone and grafting a vein from my thigh for the new blood supply. He will also pull up a muscle from the upper chest for additional blood supply and to fill in the missing collarbone.

Of course, one of my main concerns in all this is how it will effect my current semester at school and he said this is a very slow growing tumor and doesn't appear to be metastatic at this time. It would be at least 30 days before we could operate and it won't matter to my outcome if we wait till the semester break in early December. That will give me 6 weeks to recover and be ready to go in January. There is no need for pre-operative chemo and we'll have to wait and see about post-operative. He also said this will give him additonal time to consult with 2 plastic surgeons-he may have one in there - he's trying to keep the scarring to a minimum (remember he's working with irradiated skin here)that's why he's pulling up skin and muscle from the upper chest so I'll have some better skin on the neck. He will see me again in 30 days and repeat the MRI - if he sees any new growth, then I will have the surgery sooner. Also, my head/neck ENT surgeon that had the detached retina when all this started is doing well and called me today to see how I was doing. It was great to hear from him. He will be there for my surgery also - even though he doesn't operate below the neck - he said I'm still his patient and he has vested interest in my outcome. He also said waiting an extra 30 days won't cause any harm. So all in all, I'm happy if I can wait till semester break - I've worked too hard in my science and math classes to lose them now.

Pam

SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV- 2/04 - 40 Rads 1/2 conventional, 1/2 IMRT; 3 chemo treatments consisting of Carboplatin/Taxol/5-FU; Right Radical Neck Dissection
7/04; scans and pathology clear
#66112 10-16-2007 11:23 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Well done for all the hard work Pam and am glad that you seem to have a very positive plan in place for dealing with current problems.
I think going to school might be keeping your mind off your health and this can only be a good thing.

And to know your favourite surgeon is back in touch is also a very good thing!

In my thoughts, Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
#66113 10-17-2007 02:34 AM

Hi: Pam
I just read your post and it was inspirational to me. You have a great attitude and I know it is not easy but we have to find the stuff that gives us joy to take our minds away from all of this that we never asked or planned to be dealing with!!
I love to hike in the forest with my dog and when I do I forget about all of this.
Funny thing yesterday I spoke with my Sister and she said, I must have a postive attitude or this will all come back, well you know I am sure she meant well however until you have cancer you really don't know how you are going to deal with it and I try not to worry unless someone gives me something to worry about! I just hate it though when people say I must be positive, because they just don't know how hard it is to be damn positive all the time!!!
Just me ranting!! lol
All the best to you!!!
Best Regards, Adele

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!
#66114 10-17-2007 02:39 AM

Hello: Brenda
I meant to say Hello to you in my last post! I do hope you are doing well and keeping busy through this struggle! Please keep going and never give up!
Thinking of you,
Adele

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!
#66115 10-17-2007 01:13 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hey Adele,

Tell your sister that I was so positive during my treatment and after that it wanted to make me puke. Here I am 4 years later facing another cancer. Positive thinking is a good thing to have but it DOES NOT keep cancer away.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#66116 10-22-2007 12:54 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I agree. And I think it's a terrible thing to lay on a cancer patient that if they aren't positive all the time they might somehow be responsible if they have a recurrence. My Dad was a 23 year cancer survivor when he died of heart disease and he was the most negative pessimistic person you could imagine when he was being treated for cancer. He was sure it would kill him, then when it didn't he was sure it would come back. It never did (though he wasted a lot of time worrying about it).

So go ahead and let yourself feel what you feel. Trying to look on the positive is good for your mental health in the long run, but being positive or negative makes no difference to cancer as far as I can tell.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#66117 10-25-2007 03:14 PM

Pam,

Nellie and Minnie are right, positive thinking is a good thing, but it won't prevent the cancer from returning. One thing I did learn from my sister is that positive thinking and having a good attitude will make it easier to deal with whatever fate throws your way. My sister did what she could to prevent the cancer from returning, becoming a veggan and going on a an anti cancer diet, was into the Oprah "Secrets" thinking of visualizing and believing in whatever you want to happen in your life. In the end I think it helped her to handle her illness and gave her a sense of peace. You keep doing what feels right for you and since you are four years post, I think that is very encouraging. You are in my thoughts and I wish the best for you.

Nancy

Caregiver to sister Connie, dx 2005, scc tongue, 4 surgeries inc. radical left side neck dissection 7/06, 35 IMRT, and 7 cisplatin 2/07, passed away 8-11-07, 51 yrs. young, fought with courage, strength and grace, found peace on her new journey.
#66118 10-25-2007 06:27 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#66119 11-02-2007 12:32 PM

What a relief that there is not vein and nerve invovement as it initially appeared on the scan.

I agree with Brenda that school is such a good thing right now. I just hope that things are status quo when you are re-scanned in 30 days.

Hang on to that positive attitude and please keep us posted.Carol

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics