Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6313 10-16-2005 10:58 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

After getting hammered by 60 minutes on TV last year, this large charity has taken it on the chin again. This is from a recent opinion piece in the LA Times. Small charities, ( and we are of the smallest) have taken a drastic reduction in support since Katrina as we did after 9-11. This does not mean that these are not serious and worthy causes that need attention and certainly funding. But once again the mechanism by which that happens, is brought into question. Here is the article:

The Red Cross Money Pit
By Richard M. Walden
Los Angeles Times

With Hurricane Rita now making news, it's time for Americans to take a more disciplined look at their tremendous generosity. As of last week, the American Red Cross reported that it had raised $826 million in private funds for Hurricane Katrina victims. The Chronicle of Philanthropy has the total figure at more than $1.2 billion for all relief groups reporting. So the Red Cross received about 70% of all giving.

This percentage was no doubt bloated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency's mystifying release to the media of the names of 19 faith-based charities (plus the Red Cross, Humane Society and three lesser-known groups) to which the public should donate - rather than the much wider group of established relief agencies.

This skewed giving to Red Cross would be justified if the organization had to pay the cost of the 300,000 people it has sheltered. But FEMA and the affected states are reimbursing the Red Cross under preexisting contracts for emergency shelter and other disaster services. The existence of these contracts is no secret to anyone but the American public. The Red Cross carefully says it functions only by the grace of the American people - but

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#6314 10-16-2005 12:49 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

The Red Cross was severely criticised here Down Under, over all of our donations towards the first Bali bombing and the tsunami...where did all the money go? I personally don't give to the Red Cross, I want my donation to go where it should....

Tizz

End of Radiation - the "Ides of March" 2004 :-)
#6315 10-30-2005 02:10 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Holy sh*t, I had no idea. I'm a little pissed off with myself for being so naiive. I'm still paying off the donation that I charged on my credit card when Katrina hit. I was under the impression the Red Cross was an agency that one could truly trust. It would be interesting for an organization such as Consumer Reports to review various charities. I suppose I should have read more about them, but since I'm a kid I've always had it in my mind that the RC was on the up and up. Another lesson learned.

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.
#6316 10-31-2005 02:46 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello All,

The only donations I will contribute to at this stage in my life is The Oral Cancer Foundation!!!! This website has helped more people that can be measured. Brian & Ingrid have given there lifes to maintaining this site and helping others. Most of the funds needed have come from them. I feel we have made a small dent in making people aware of "EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIFE'S" and I am member number #853 and we just went over #2500 members this week.

I think (know) we can do more! I'm asking for more volunteers for the "2006 Oral Cancer Foundation Fundraiser.

I have received several offers to help and I thank you for that. If you want to give something back to a forum each of us have taken so much from please contact me by email or PM. Lets make 2006 a banner year for donations to "The Oral Cancer Foundation" It is a tax deductable donation.

All you have to do is get ONE donation a month from anyone. Remember when you were first DX and so many friends and relatives offered any kind of help you needed. A good time to call in that marker.

I will send you 15 brochures and donation envelopes in November or early December. The brochures are very informative and they should be directed to the website to see why it means so much to you. The fundraiser will last the entire year. The most success when asking for a donation is face to face. A great time to tell them about the website. Any donations should be mailed during the first week of every month. This will insure the website receives a more balanced cash flow for the entire year.

I was aiming for a $50.00 donation per member per month, but thats just a target number. You can send in more or less depending on your ability to collect a donation.

No one is going to be held accountable for the results they contribute. There will be no pins, bumper stickers etc sent out. I want to keep the overhead to a bare minimum. The best gift in the world is the one you expect nothing in return.
A receipt from you with a hand written thank you note means more than we know. The receipts will arrive with the donation envelopes and brochures.

The intent of this fundraiser is to remove the heavy burden that Brian & Ingrid experience every month. The bonus in all this is that Brian will receive a somewhat balanced amount of donations to coninue to spread the word,
"EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIFE'S". Never send cash, If you receive cash please send in check form.

Hoping for many emails with your mailing address in it so we can get the ball rolling.

Love Ya All, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan
1018 Saunders Road
Kaukauna, WI 54130

920 766-9040

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#6317 10-31-2005 03:59 PM

Back to the top!!!

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23