Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#6198 10-04-2005 07:01 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Mark,

My on'gist is a very straight forward no B.S. Doctor. It's one of the things I like about her. She tells it like she sees it. Takes the time to answer any question I have and explains it very well. The hell with the stat's we will either survive or we won't!!!

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#6199 10-04-2005 08:17 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I asked my head & neck surgeon why I was one of the "lucky" ones and he responded "luck". Like Danny's doctor, they didn't sugarcoat anything. Even though I look and function pretty normally now, I still have a high probability of being dead in a few years (according to the so called statistics) so my wife and I try to treat each other with kindness and make the best out of each day. She almost got hit by a car in a crosswalk a few days ago so you just never know. Life is precious - savor it and don't let the fear take over. The HPV study, by the way, was based on a patient sample size of 253 persons (123,000 people are diangosed with oropharyngeal cancer worldwide each year).

I have to admit though that I get a guilty pleasure out of the statistics, research, and all of the clinical trials going on - but most of it is in the UBIF category or, in my case, the TMWIWTH (tell me what I want to hear) group.

Many times I feel that the media is irresponsible in the way that they report miscellaneous dangers, miracle cures, etc. Take Iressa for instance - it was supposed to be the greatest cancer cure since they invented sliced bread, then a subsequent, broader study showed that the PLACEBO was more effective - go figure! Of course you can bet that the subsequent study didn't make the first page except maybe in the business section for their stock values plummeting after the FDA sent out the "Dear Doctor" letter.

Years ago I was a "hopeless dope fiend and now I am a dopeless hope fiend" so I suppose that carries over to the "cancer adventure*" (*credit to my fellow survivor buddy Joanna for that concept) as well.

I am not sure that I agree with Mark that the statistics "do not matter" to the newbies, they may not be relevant but I think they do matter - they did to me. In my first meeting with my oncologist he had printed out for me the AJCC statistical survival profile for oropharyngeal cancer and even highlighted the stage III/IV column. Many come here scared out of their wits and need to know that the statistics don't reflect all of the many variables that make each one of us a unique individual and that also includes how we respond to treatment - I think that is what Mark was really trying to say. Further complicating the statistical "evidence" is that fact that the numbers usually lag by a year or more and constant refinement of treatment protocols by the NCCN and NCI member institutions would not be immediately reflected.

I don't think that anyone needs to apologize. This is classic water cooler stuff and what public forums are made of. Everyone is right actually...

The following is a link to the NCI, Treatment statement for Health professionals, and there is some very detailed information there concerning tongue vs. tonsil cancer to get the topic back on track. http://www.meb.uni-bonn.de/cancer.gov/CDR0000062924.html

If you are continuing to drink alcohol, smoke or use smokeless tobacco products, you need to read and heed as well.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics