Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I posted several months back, in regard to mouth ulcers, that are now worse. I finished rad and chemo Jan 11, 2007. No one told me at that time that the after effects of treatment is more painful than the cancer itself. I am fortunate that I have been told I am cancer free.
I am totally at my wits end bevcause these ulcers are definitely affecting my eatiing. I am looking for any help the members can gie me in regard to this problm. Im going tio list everything I personally have done to try and help myself. Taking lidocaine 2% visc sol, Majic
mouthwash, over the counte colgate orabase, zilactin-B, hurricaine gel.
Went to 4 doctors yesterday---my dentist, my ora surgeonmy ENT dr and pain management doctor.
I have a very high tolerance to pain meds and the oxycodone he had me on was not working. we
switched to Morphone sul 10 mg 2 teas every 3 hrs. I have only had two doses so don't know yet how it will work. ALL doctors said they knew of NOTHING to get rid of the ulcers and there was no guarantee oxygen therapy or acupuncture would work. Said it would get better in time. I am scared to death because I had the PEG tube removed 2 months ago and the ulcers have gotten so much worse. They are in the side of my mouth that was radiated I aam getting extremely depressed and the quality of my life is going down hill. My caregiver is my mother, who is 88
years old and she has been a godsent. I have to be careful what I tell her because she worries so. She lives with me and I have guilt issues because I should be taking care of her instead of her taking care of me. Please reply to my post
if you have any suggestions at all. You are my last hope.

Judy

BOT SCC Stage III DX August 14, 2006. Radiation and Chemo completed January, 2007. No surgery. "When you have exhausted all possibilities remember this-----You Haven't"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Judy,
I found my ulcers came and went with what i was eating. The acidity in foods being the main contributer. Fruit acids in things like grapes, oranges etc gave me them. Vinegars are another one that sets off the ulcers. Also, i was told if you stay on one mouth wash for too long they become inaffective. So to switch between 2 brands every 10 days or so helped.
I don't think there are any miracle solutions. Other than trial and error to find the cause.
Good luck,
Michelle

Undifferentiated Nasopharyngeal Ca. T3N1M0 stage: IIb. diagnosed: June 2006. 6cycles of high dose chemo (Cisplatin & 5FU). 6 & half weeks (33sessions) radical R/T
OP Offline

Chelle, thanks for your post. The only mouthwash
I am using is Biotene mouth rinse and I don't know of another one that does not have alcohol in
it. You would think they could give an antibiotic to clear them up.

Judy

BOT SCC Stage III DX August 14, 2006. Radiation and Chemo completed January, 2007. No surgery. "When you have exhausted all possibilities remember this-----You Haven't"
Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Actually, there is an over-the-counter mouthwash that is alchohol free - Crest ProHealth. I switched to if because of that reason - I had been using Listerine until I was diagnosed. (although the research done on whether this has any relationship to incidence of oral cancer is inconclusive, didn't want to take the chance)

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi,

Gatta, I wish I could give an antibiotic to clear up mouth ulcers but, unfortunately they are not caused by bacteria. Some common causes are, weakened immune system, viral, trauma and radiation/chemo therapy.

Many companies produce over the counter alcohol free mouthrinses. These mouthrinses however, do not treat ulcers. They may make them more tolerable and comfortable but, do not aid in eliminating them. Some contain other beneficial ingredients such as, fluoride to strengthen teeth and roots, potassium nitrate to reduce sensitivity, topical anasthetics to reduce pain, antihistamines to reduce pain and various antibacterial agents and lubricants.

Mouth ulcers are one of the nasties that cancer therapy inflict upon people.

As for alcohol in the General Board I posted some information a few weeks back with the title, "Alcohol".

Hope this is usefull.

Cheers,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
OP Offline

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my
post. I still can't comprehend why these ulcers are untreatable. If antibotics can treat many
conditions you would think they could clear up
ulcers. Don;t mean to beat a dead horse, but I
just can;t understand.

Thanks again------Judy

Judy,

Trust me, I wish antibiotics could treat ulcers i get them and I have a large amount of patients who do including my post cancer treatment patients.

Antibiotics are only effective for the treatment of bacterial infections thus, they are useless against oral apthous ulcers because they are not caused ny bacteria.

Sorry.

Cheers,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users