Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Last night I experienced the driest throat I've had. When I woke up this am, it took about 15 minutes of rinsing with water and magic mouthwash to lubricate my mouth back to a reasonable level of comfort. About an hour later, I experienced the diametrically opposite effect: a sudden increase in the amount and thickness of mucus. I am 2.5 weeks post 33 radiation treatments (post-op for the successful removal of the squamous cell carcinoma from my tongue), and this feels like I am regressing in terms of my general comfort level rather than improving. Can anyone relate a similar experience and tell me how long it might last, and, what if anything you did to cope with it?

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

That is pretty much what I experienced, so I wouldn't get too worried about it. From start to finish, my wall paper paste lasted 21 days exactly. At times near the end, it abated for a while, then would come back. It eventually ended for me and will for you too. In my case it was just like someone flipped a switch and it was no more.

As for what you can do, I found that using those external nose strips (Breathe Right) enabled me to keep my mouth shut while sleeping, thus avoiding the horrible dry throat. And five years ago Brian posted a tip I found worked for me too -- press your tongue against the roof of your mouth, then swallow (while mouth is closed) and that helps to keep it closed.

Welcome to this forum. Just about any question you can post will get a response from someone with personal experience to relate.

"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

The dreaded mucous!!! We could have decorated the whole house with the amount Robin had, but dont worry it is a natural progression in your recovery and will pass like everything else.Just dont be fooled if it appears to have gone away one day and comes back the next.Its sneaky like that.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
OP Offline

Thanks very much.

Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi. Has anyone had blood in their mucous after the treatments? This just started with my mom last night after not seeing any blood for weeks. She finished 37 radiation treatments on Thursday and is on Levoquin antibiotic for an infection in her trache area. We are going to ask the doctors, but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this.

Caretaker to my best friend, my mom. Age 60 - never smoked or drank. St IVA oropharynx. 37 radiation tx, 8 carboplatin tx. Diag 5/31/07-TX completed 8/16/07-good PET 10/10/07. Passed away 3/28/08 due to weakened blood vessels from tx. Now watching over her triplet grandsons born on 5/19/08.

Yes, on occasion I saw a bit of blood in the mucous I coughed up from my throat. I asked my oncologist at the time and he said it was normal. But certainly worth mentioning to your doctor on the next visit.

Stage III BOT, 14 weeks chemotherapy, 7 weeks IMRT. Finished treatment Jan. 2007.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Blood in the coughed-up mucous is normal, if it's only a bit of blood and not some drastic amount. Your whole throat is raw and in fact it is amazing that more people don't have lots of bloody mucous.

If you are not taking guafenesin to thin your mucous, give it a try. Either the Mucinex tablets (guafensenin only, NO antihistamine) or the readily-available syrup will work. The tablets are time-release so help for 12 hours BUT they are big things that cannot be cut or ground up so if you can't get them down, try the syrup. The latter will burn if you take it neat as it's strong stuff -- the important thing is getting the dose inside you so dilute it in about 4 oz. water and take it that way. The syrup has to be taken every 4 hours, again guafensein ONLY and NO antihistamine.

Our RO didn't know about Mucinex, his RO nurse who had come from MD Anderson did -- he saw how it helped many (not all) so now recommends it to everyone with mucous issues.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics