Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
amycole Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone. . .

I need some input on "swelling" post radiation. Garron is now 12 weeks post rad. Last night he pointed out to me a concern about some "swelling" in his neck. It is symmetrical on either side of the windpipe just below the chin. He said he noticed it Sat. He has had a gobbler since tx and now the skin in that area is tight. I feel nothing hard. He thinks there is something in there. I don't know if he is just scared. I simply can't tell. He has been battling sinus congestion for the past few weeks. The joys of allergies in SE Georgia. He is not scheduled to go back to MD until the end of July. He is going to see his regular doc here in Savannah today. My logical thinking at this point is out the window. Fear of reoccurance is overwhelming me. I would like to here from anybody who may have had swelling in the neck post radiation. I have read some posts about swelling post neck dissection.

Thanks, Amy C.

amy cole, caregiver to husband, stage IV BOT, dx 10/06, 2 cyles induction chemo (cisplatin, taxotere, 5FU), 33 IMRT with weekly Erbitux, completed 3/07.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It could be edema. "Nothing hard" and "symetrical" is a good thing. I would suggest moving up his followup, if for no other reason, for your own peace of mind.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
amycole Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Gary.

Garron saw his local doc today who thinks it is edema. I called MD and spoke with RO nurse and told her what was going on and what his local doc thought and she said it is more than likely lymphedema from the RT. She said it is common and it can definitely scare the patients and their families which made me feel better about my panic episode. She said that the lymph system drains in that area and the ducts get blocked from the RT. He is to massage this area back towards the ears 2-3 times a day to promote draining in the back. I guess we will start massaging today:)

Thanks, Amy

amy cole, caregiver to husband, stage IV BOT, dx 10/06, 2 cyles induction chemo (cisplatin, taxotere, 5FU), 33 IMRT with weekly Erbitux, completed 3/07.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Amy,
I'm 10 weeks post rad and I've had swelling from just under my ear down the on my right side of the neck to my collarbone since Saturday (3 days). Today the swelling is starting to go down although there is a swishy spot near the collarbone (lymph node?). My ENT was on vacation so I saw my PCP who couldn't explain it and has referred me to my oncologist. I was concerned because I thought I was getting rid of the radiation side effects and then this started. I also have an earache, but that is getting better too. I'm blaming it on trying to do too much. I was doing great until I started back at work part-time and started an online class. I dropped my class Sunday night after 1 week. If the swelling is gone by Thursday, I'll cancel my oncologist appointment.

SCC, right tonsil, T1N0MO, G3, HPV-33 positive, 7 wks IMRT 2/21/07-4/13/07, 48 year old female when diagnosed, non-smoker, weekend wine drinker, tumor and both tonsils removed. Ethyol for 3 weeks; no peg; only minimal longterm side effects

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics