Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#61005 06-02-2007 04:41 AM
lee33 Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Wow, I guess this is a venting post. I don't know I just wanted to say it amazes me how the residuals of the rad treatments continue to build so far out from tx. My jaw gets tighter and tighter but it also has gotten pretty painful to stretch. The same with my neck. Now my tongue wants to join the soreness to move club. I read everyones posts about this, especially those who had the mouth and tongue surgeries ect. and thought I understood what was coming. I guess I am just suprised and of course the farther I get away from tx the more healed I want to be. I thought I would give everyone a smile. I know everyone who has passed the point I'm at is saying "we know". Well I had another petscan yesterday and will find out Tues if we are going with the RND. Now I know why my rad dr. did not want to wait to long after treatment to do the surgery if it was necessary. I can feel the scarring ect in my neck from rad which he said will just make the surgery and recovery more difficult the longer we wait. Anyway, I just wanted to talk about some of this stuff. Not angry or frustrated just sharing about it. Thanks for listening. Lee

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee
#61006 06-02-2007 05:45 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Wow- we're kinda at the same spot right now. My jaw has gotten so tight...I can barely fit 2 fingers in it. (thats my measuring technique). I thought it was from my TMJ but maybe it's from radiation. My tongue has gotten sore again, too. It's also swollen. I actually had my docs feel it again to make sure the tumor wasn't back...they didn't feel anything tho. But I'm back to slurring when i talk, which I WASN"T doing after treatment. I don't know whats up. I was done w/ tx on 3/15 & thought I'd be eating everything & back to normal by now. Boy, was I WRONG. It seems never-ending.
I had my first PET done 9 weeks out of tx and it showed some activity at the site (left side of tongue) but my docs think it's from the swelling. ) What did your first PET say & when did you get done w/ tx?
OH, what is RND??? I had IMRT 35 times, Cisplatin once & Carboplatin once-had to switch cuz Cis made my ears ring too bad. Good chatting w/ you! We're in the same boat

SCC-tongueT3N0M0- IMRT 35times-1/07-3/07; along with one cycle of Cisplat & one cycle of Carboplat; weekly erbitux.finished all tx.3/07-supposedly gone. Recurrence 6/07. Age 31-non-smoker/social drinker. Devastated it's back.
#61007 06-02-2007 10:25 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

RND = radical neck disection.

My 1st post Tx CT showed 2 small spots in my upper lungs.

My 2nd post Tx CT showed the 1st 2 sm spots in the upper lungs gone and 2 sm spots in the lower lungs. The 1st CT didn't include the lower lungs so they did a 3rd CT 3 months later (my 3rd post Tx CT) and finally no spots anywhere.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#61008 06-02-2007 10:57 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

rob had his surgery before rad treatment and at 5 weeks post tx he started with terrible pain in his jaw.He couldnt open his mouth very far and couldnt chew and his speech is very slurred.The problem is that with healing comes tightening of all the things that were cut and sewn back up.Robin was told to do yawning exersises after his rnd which of course he didnt bother too much about as he had a peg tube.The problems started when he tried to start eating again but he is trying to do the exersises the Dr gave him now and he can get three fingers side ways in his mouth which is apparently the bench mark.Also the scar from the dissection is looking very "pulled up" and his chest hair is sprouting out of the middle of it.The surgeon said it will be at least six month before this improves

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#61009 06-02-2007 12:14 PM

David-thanks for your answers on the CT-makes me feel better.
Liz- Rob and I are similar in the tight jaw happening when we started eating. Thats exactly when this got worse. I would've thought it would get "looser" cuz I was using it to eat. No so. Why do you think our speech is slurred? Is he still slurring? I was talking fine after rad for about 2 months & then it just started out of nowhere. So frustrating.

SCC-tongueT3N0M0- IMRT 35times-1/07-3/07; along with one cycle of Cisplat & one cycle of Carboplat; weekly erbitux.finished all tx.3/07-supposedly gone. Recurrence 6/07. Age 31-non-smoker/social drinker. Devastated it's back.
#61010 06-02-2007 08:11 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

I dont really know about the slurring jordan robin only had a small part of his tongue removed and he wasnt slurring post op he talks like someone who has had a long session in the dentist and still has a numb mouth.I do know the nerve to his lip was damaged in the operation and although the droop is very slight maybe his lip cant move to form the sounds properly.As to the tightening,just think about a simple cut.As it heals the edges draw together and a scab forms.If you pick the scab off the skin edges open up again.I do know that some people get adhesions post op and actually have to have their scars opened up and tissues released that have stuck to other surfaces.After all when you have a neck dissection they do roll the skin on your face up like a roller blind!!Its major surgery and ALL major surgery runs the risk of side effects let alone surgery that is in an area containing so many delicate nerves and muscles, and our surgeon did pre warn us about all these.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#61011 06-03-2007 04:28 AM
ccw Offline

I have a routine which seems to have worked well, at least for me.

At the advise of my RO, I have been doing daily stretches of my jaw (20 repititions opening my jaw to the maximum extent possible, two or three times a day) since I started radiation therapy. I have also been doing neck and shoulder stretching exercises 5 days per week. My neck exercises consist of turning my head each way, then tilting my head each way as well as back. For my shoulder I lie on my back and stretch my arm straight back and touch my wrist to the floor way above my head; I then pull my arm over my chest; finally, I stand at a wall and raise my arm as high as I can straight up toward the ceiling.

To this point, all is going well. My mouth opens fully without trouble, and my neck continues to get more limber. My shoulder stiffness has steadily decreased, and shoulder droop seems to be just about non-existent.

Chris

SCC left tonsil, 2 lymph nodes, modified radical neck dissection, IMRT (both sides) completed 10/25/06, Erbitux and Cisplatin weekly, Ethyol daily
#61012 06-03-2007 06:21 AM
lee33 Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thanks Chris if I have to have the RND I will keep this post in mind. Jordan I had my first pet/ct scan combo at 8wks. It showed uptake at the node that was left showing to be cancerous before I started treatment. But it was very low so the docs felt that it could be inflammation and that we may have done the scan to soon. So I did another one on june first. My last treatment was on March 22. I'll know Tues what they found this time. This scan will also be the deciding factor on the RND.

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee
#61013 06-03-2007 07:52 AM

Lee- be sure and let us know about your results. I'm sure it has made for a tough few days of waiting. I truly hope everything is OK.

#61014 06-03-2007 03:05 PM
B Offline

Jordan, My husband 10mths out from radiation. and also had a bleed out in october from radiation necrosis in the tonsil area. Is still having difficulty talking because of the damage to his tongue from the tumor and the radiation scarring. He is very frustrated and hasn't eaten anything for a year everything by the gtube. So your not alone in this. They say it takes time but I'ts been a year and still cant talk or eat and continues to get aspiration pneumonia. He had a pet scan a month ago the radiation dr did not want him to have one because he thinks theres to many false positives. He goes by how the tongue looks and feels. The pet scan does light up in his tongue area and the other drs say they can'say for sure if its cancer but the rad dr says he thinks things look good very frustrated. My husband is in a rehab right now for a week with IV antibiotics for the lates bout from pneumonia. We also have a malnutrion issue cant get past 120 lbs. Trying a new food but have to be careful with the protein amounts, He has swollen legs now. not sur if its from malnutrion or to much protein. Its amazing what this cancer can do to the rest of your body. 5 steps forward 10 steps back. Thats what my husband says He is so scared that he is not making progress and getting stronger I think he is mentally and physically exhAusted.

BOT stage IV SCC moderately diff, invasive. radiation 2 chemos. DX 06/06. Ended radiation 8/11/06. Bleed out from tonsil area from radiation necrosis 10/27/06.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users