Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My sister is 7 weeks post Tx and has been vomiting or nauseous since last Wednesday. We have tried giving her the anti-nausea meds (Compazine, Decadron, adivan) and she has not really responded to those as she did when she was undergoing treatment. Her husband called oncology last Friday, but they were not much help, thought she may have a bug, said to call if she's not better in a few days. We will try to get her an appt tomorrow (Monday), and hopefully they can give us some other type of medication, if they can't figure out what is causing this. She is getting her nutrition (Probalance) thru the PEG tube, but is down to 3 feedings a day instead of the normal 5. Has anyone had a problem with vomiting for a period of time, 7 weeks post TX? I would think that ocassional vomiting might be expected, but this?????

I have to add that she seemed to be making progress 3 weeks post Tx, (started to swallow, no nausea, less pain in neck and ear). But starting the 5th week, she began regressing. Losing ability to swallow, breakthrough pain more often, a feeling of being suffocated, and now the vomiting. She is on 2, 25mg fentayl patches, doctor does not want to increase dosage and she uses morphine for the breakthrough pain, which seems to do the trick. Constipation has been a problem and before the vomiting episode, prune juice and some sort of natural laxative was helping her to be more regular.

Any one have any insights as to what is going on?

Caregiver to sister Connie, dx 2005, scc tongue, 4 surgeries inc. radical left side neck dissection 7/06, 35 IMRT, and 7 cisplatin 2/07, passed away 8-11-07, 51 yrs. young, fought with courage, strength and grace, found peace on her new journey.
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hopefully, it will turn out to be a "bug". It would be a good thing to keep some non-flavored Pedialyte in the pantry for times like this.[Children's section-grocery store] When someone is vomiting and\or not able to eat or drink a daily normal quota, the Pedialyte will help replenish electrolytes and is very easy on the stomach. Amy in the Oz

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Zofran is the only thing besides the 3 meds I was given during the chemo treatment. I am at about the same point post tx and am in my second round of nausea that lasted over a week last time. Unfortunatly I couldn't get the Zofran last time and had to tough it out. I lost about 8lbs that time. This time I have the Zofran and am still getting nearly 2000 cals a day so I'm not feeling as bad. Everytime this happens my mouth fills with thrush and I lose all desire to eat. For the last three weeks I had been drinking 2700 cals, riding my bike about 3 miles, went to the gym, and was pretty energetic. Now I'm back in my recliner trying to get through this one. My dx and tx were slightly different but I'm pretty sure from the posts I've read that this is fairly normal. But I see my onc's tomorrow so I know that they will check me out to be sure it is not a bug or infection. I wouuld try to be sure about those things too. Good Lusck to you both. Lee

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee

Nancy, my husband has been going thru the same problem. Zofran or Reglin seemed to help a little with the neusea. We do have him on 50/50 Pedialyte and bottle water which has helped he body regulate mineral needs.

SCC Tonsils. DX 11/06. Stage 3/4. IMRTX38. Chemo: Cisplatin 3 cycles. Ended TX 4/27/07
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My friend Mary is 7 weeks out from treatment, (radiation and chemo), and still struggling with vomiting about once a day. She has been on Zofran and other antinausea meds., they aren't working for her. She is getting depressed about moving backwards after treatment ended.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to discourage and stop the nausea/vomiting?

Thank you,
Ann

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Nancy, sometimes the fentanyl patch can make nausea worse. I'd be concerned that dehydration could also be making it worse. It sounds like this has been going on too long to be a typical of a bug. I would get her in to see the doctor so all the symptoms can be evaluated together - there's more than nausea going on. Also compazine is a lightweight antinausea, ativan is anti-anxiety with some antinausea benefit but that's not the prime purpose, and decadron is a steroid I think. She may need something stronger.

Ann, zofran is a strong medication, maybe they need to increase the dose. Jack took it twice a day. If not I'd ask for a suggestion from the doctor on something else.

Some people do have prolonged reactions to chemo.

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.

My husband did well in Tx even with chemo until they upped his Fentynol patch to 50. Then it was nausea and vomiting all the time with no rhyme or reason. It stopped within 24 hours of reducing him back to 25. Antivan also helped.

Caregiver for Jim who has HNSCC (Tonsillar and right base of tongue T1, N2, Stage IV) 55 Yrs old moderate drinker and never smoked.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics