Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I am asking this for a friend of mine.
Her husband has undergone oral cancer surgery and therapy for tonsil cancer. He had some extensive surgery and cannot swallow. With the excessive saliva he is concerned about being able to go through an MRI exam and not being able to spit out the saliva.
The MRI is actually for back problems and he'll be having 2 areas scanned , so I imagine the exam will take a long time to do.
Has anyone had problems with having exams done and what have you done to address this problem. As of yet he doesn't have a suction machine.
I don't recall reading anything regarding this on the forum yet.
Thanks.
Vicki

Care giver for Stage IV Base of Tongue TXN3M0
Neck Dissection 1-9-07
IMRT & 8 weekly Cisplatin
2/20/07 - 4/17/07
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Vicki,

I've had several back MRI's in the years since my treatment (although I don't recall being in a situation where excess saliva/mucus was an issue). However, each time, there has been an emergency button I could press if I needed to interrupt the process for any reason, so I would assume if he needed to get rid of the excess from time to time they could pause to let him slide out and do that. Also, since the machine isn't continuously taking pictures for the entire time, there are breaks where he won't have to be perfectly still.

I'd suggest that he discuss this ahead of time with his doctor or the technicians who will be doing the test to figure out how best to deal with it.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Vickie, he could also take his most effective "dry mouth med." before he has the MRI and some kind of relaxation med. to decrease anxiety. Alerting the staff is a very good thing to do also. We traveled with John's suction machine for over a year- so if he keeps having problems, it might be a good thing to investigate. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
OP Offline

Hi,

I did speak with the staff today and they said he would have a device to push if he needed assistance. They did say getting up and down would really prolong the test because they would have to set everything back up again. Hopefully he'll be able to manage by turning his head to clear his mouth.
They said each scan segment is several minutes long, so if he can hold off until the end of each scan phase he should be all right.

Vicki

Care giver for Stage IV Base of Tongue TXN3M0
Neck Dissection 1-9-07
IMRT & 8 weekly Cisplatin
2/20/07 - 4/17/07

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260