Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6057 09-09-2005 02:57 AM
OP Offline

need a update so many things i read to take suppliments or not to take them and do i need carrots every day lol for me veggies ws a big lack and this did not help me as the immune system opend to the scc i had would love any im put on foods or sites for recepies thanks eek

rd
#6058 09-09-2005 03:13 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

RD, You should eat a well balanced mix of fruit, lots of vegetables (especially brightly colored vegetables), Protein, and unsaturated fats. Stay away from pre-packaged food. Some suggest low sugar as well. Most doctors do NOT recommend massive doses of vitamins, however a good multivitamin once a day seems like a good idea.

If you are having problems swallowing, you can use a blender to make your meals easy to swallow.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#6059 09-09-2005 03:50 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I'm only adding my opinion because I am constantly asking my doctors and dieticians for advice on eating. One of the suggestions from my dietician as far as supplements go has been fish oil capsules. She advised looking for very high DHA (even suggesting that Costco carried a very good brand)Little did I know that I needed to be taking six of the ones I had on hand per day. Outside of the zinc ( for taste) those are the only two supplements that anyone has suggested to me.

I'm a huge fan of vegetables and fruit, except in my quest to gain weight, I've reversed my strategy to really trying to get high calories in. This means, I eat a great deal of foods that I would have avoided prior to becoming ill. I've probably eaten more ice cream in the past two months than I have in a lifetime. Despite the cost, my local Starbucks knows me as I make it a daily duty to get a huge carmel frappacino souped up with a shot of malt and loaded with whole milk and whipped cream.

It seems to be that almost all my food choices these days are determined by the highest calorie possibilities. This includes fast food and sodas. To try to balance it out, I stocked up on V-8 vegetable juice and 100% fruit juice.

Alarmed at how much sugar and fattening stuff I've been consuming (I've even been drinking heavy whipping cream from the local dairy) I had to ask both my chemo oncologist and my dietician if all this sugar and fat was healthy. They both assured me that ANY and all calories at this point was a good thing.

My latest trend is to eat as much as possible prior to bedtime. It felt absolutely sinful to eat a piece of white mocha carmel cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory in bed last night.

Jen

#6060 09-09-2005 08:00 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

I am trying to go for plenty of antioxidants so that for me is herbal tea and plenty of leafy green and yellow veggies. I have not started taking my vitamins again yet but I see the Onc on Monday so I will ask my diatician while I am there.

I am glad to see this subject. It keeps me on my toes about junk food and all that sugar. eek

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#6061 09-09-2005 08:12 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

An issue of unknown consequences in the recommendation of fish oil capsules worth mentioning, is the mercury content found in many of them. Perhaps this volume of exposure is not consequential in relationship to the value of omega 3 fatty acids that are heart healthy that we can get from them. I have personally changed to flaxseed oil capsules which have the same omega 3 's without the risk of mercury. In the overall scheme of things will this change something significantly? Unknown, but enough small avoidances and changes may add up to tangible differences. I think this is one that is easy to accommodate.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#6062 09-09-2005 01:45 PM
OP Offline

well does indeed tomotoes and carrots make a real dif of keeping the ca not to return and what are the ok on coffee. i find green tea drys me out real bad any suggestions of how to drink it?

rd
#6063 09-09-2005 02:10 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

You have to be careful not to read more into the published research than what is there. Are there good indicators that lycopene found in tomatoes for instance is an anti cancer agent... but does eating tomatoes prevent cancer recurrence or the original disease, no. There are hundreds of other like substances. While I am a huge advocate of engaging in as proactive a diet and lifestyle as possible, the area of chemoprevention is very young. Health food store claims do not always reflect that the study was done on animals, or that it is preliminary data etc. So while much of this is interesting and even information that I incorporate into my own lifestyle (nothing to lose by trying the reasonable things that are within my grasp), your own genetic makeup will have much to do with whether or not a particular macro or micro nutrient has any value to you or not. For more information about chemoprevention go to the link at the bottom of the facts page on the main site.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#6064 09-10-2005 05:14 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Consumers Union did a study on fish oil capsules and found essentially no contamination of Hg or anything else in brands from reputable manufacturers -- the mercury tends to stay with the fish tissue not the oil.

There is however evidence that flax oil (not flax-seed) enhances the growth of prostate cancer.

There are also several clinical studies which have shown positive impacts (reduction of PSA, reduction in recurrance etc.) for men with prostate cancer who are given lycopene. However this is prostate cancer, an adenocarcinoma, so it is probably pushing the envelope to transfer these results to oral SCCs. You are probably best off eating a Mediterranean-type diet with lots of olive oil, fruits, vegatables, low on red meat and dairy -- which has been linked to reduced risk of cancer, heart disease and other problems.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#6065 09-10-2005 07:33 AM

Whether its true or not I read that most "Green Tea" is not that beneficial unless you buy it at an Asian or Oriental specialty shop. What we buy on our Kroger@ shelves we would need to drink gallons of it for it to be useful health wise.

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#6066 09-10-2005 10:36 AM

Well
I did the healthy eating for 10 years and still got the cancer!!!!
So now I have decided all things in moderation is the best way, OH... please exclued my red wine, that is not always in moderation..
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics