Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gary S Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi All,

I am now 8 wks post IMRT. The entire left side of my face is as smooth as a baby's bottom.. Unfortunately, I have really dark hair and the right side of my face did not receive rad. therefore my facial hair remains intact on that side. I sort of feel like two face from Batman.

Anyways, my question is: When, if at all, did your facial hair begin to grow again once Tx was finished. I have never really been body/image conscious until now. The stares, glances, and comments are starting to get to me. If it seems like my facial hair will never return then I am going to get the remaining hair lasered off. Of course I am going to give it a lot of time before I move forward with that procedure. With my luck, I will have the right side lasered and the left will begin to grow again.

Any info./help will be greatly appreciated.

Gary

SCC left Buccal Mucosa (cheek). Surgery with Modified Radical Neck (23 lymph nodes - all clear). IMRT x 30. Finished tx 11-21-06
"Don't give up, don't ever give up!"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

If you didn't have chemo most of the hair in the radiation field will be gone for good. My follicles actually fell out on my neck. I have a moustache and goatee and it recovered pretty good but the hair on my neck is toast- except for a few survivors here and there.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I am 3 years post and still have little hair on my right (rad) side along my jaw. It will never come back.

I have dark hair as well. unless you are planning on growing a beard, it's not a big deal considering.

SCC 1.6cm Right Tonsil 10/3/03, 1 Node 3cm, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Wks Induction Chemo (Taxol,Cisplatin), 8 Weeks Chemo/Radiation (5FU,Hydroxyurea,Iressa), IMRT x 40, Treatment Complete 2/13/04.
41 Years Old At Diagnosis
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Gary S;
I'm sure it was a combination of rad/chemo but I lost all my facial hair through treatment. I didn't shave at all after about a month into treatment and even after treatment the only hair growing back was up by my ears. Now, about three months out I have my moustache back, almost as thick as it was, but my goatee is gone. I do have some whiskers starting to pop out around my chin though. Like you, my entire neck area is totally smooth. Folks staring and commenting don't have a clue to the path you have walked and that is their issue. My thought is if it grows back that's nice. If not it sure doesn't affect my breathing!

Best of Luck,

Steve

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****

I'm a little over 3 months out of Tx. I lost all hair on my neck, face (except for half a moustache) and on the back of my head. The hair on my face grows enough now that I have to shave again, to include my moustache. The hair on the back of my head is coming back slowly. Still no hair on my neck.

Tim

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.

Gary S - I was so glad to see your post and have thought of you often, ever since that day in the Rad waiting room when my son and I talked with you. You are the reason we found the OCF site and have benefited so much from it and from your caring concern for us as my son was going thru Rad tx. You are such a handsome young man but your beautiful soul and your compassion for others are way more important. Try not to worry about the stares and comments - that's their problem. The lost hair is your badge of courage. My son, Paul - is 4 wks post treatment and he is also concerned about the spaces at the back of his neck. He shaves his whole head almost every day. But as Steve says, it doesn't affect his breathing. Paul is making great progress! And I hope you continue to do so as well. I love your attitude and as you say, there is always laser surgery.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I lost the hair on my neck and back of the head. The back of the head grew back almost normal about 6-9 mos because that radiation beams were from the front. The front of my neck the direct area of the beams never grew back. It makes shaving quick now!

SCC R-Tonsil T2 NO MO Dec 2003. Completed IMRT Radiation only to tonsils(72Gy) and neck(55Gy)March 04. Detected at age 50.
Gary S Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. I suppose I had just reached a boiling point the day I posted. Three dumb-ass comments from complete strangers in one day was a little too much. Thanks for helping me readjust my perspective. There are so many other things to be happy about that I do not need to worry about this.

Annette - I am glad to hear that Paul is progressing well. I think of you two often. Please know that I will always be here for the both of you if you need me. I look forward to more progress updates.

Gary

SCC left Buccal Mucosa (cheek). Surgery with Modified Radical Neck (23 lymph nodes - all clear). IMRT x 30. Finished tx 11-21-06
"Don't give up, don't ever give up!"
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Gary S,

I lost the hair on my neck below my chin and on the back of my neck where the rad exited. I am now 4 months post Tx. The hair follicles also fell out as Gary posted. My remaining wiskers also darkened up for a while but they now seem back to normal. I would shave at 8am and by 10am I had a shadow which was wierd but as I said that is back to normal now. The hair on the back of my neck is returning but not the wiskers on my neck under my chin EXCEPT 3 or 4 that grow to 1 inch before I see them.

Razors and a can of shaving cream lasts a lot longer now, but that was some price I had to pay for that benefit!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I have worn a full beard all my life....no more. Hair on left side of my face is gone, right side still grows. Being self-employed outta home, sometimes I don't need to shave for 3 or 4 days - then I'll go by the mirror & see 1/2 beard & realise I've been going out to places like that. Guess if people see me from right side I have a beard, from left I don't....lol.

Age 51, Squamous Cell Carcinoma, lymph node on left tonsil, 6 wks chemo - 7 wks radiation, treatments ended 12/1/06 (hopefully)....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users