Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

I just had a post tx hearing test and was told I have permanent high freq hearing loss. They work in conjunction with Moffitt Cancer where I was treated and said that cisplatin had destroyed hair cells in both ears and it is irreversable.

My MO told me pre cisplatin tx, that I may experience some hearing loss but sometimes it is temp.

I have read some previous posts which really didn't help.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being the greatest impact, I would rate this HF loss to my overall hearing function on a day to day basis as a 2 to 3 but I haven't been out socially or even to a restaurant since my tx ended. They told me that backgroud noises may negatively impact my hearing ability the most.

Before I seek other opinions I wanted to hear what the group has to say. I'm toooo young for hearing aids.

Thanks,

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

David,

Not sure what you mean when you say hair cells in both ears? After my 2nd dose of cisplat I had ringing in my ears and I felt like I had a bag over my head. I had a hearing test which showed some damage and my MO and I decided to switch to carboplat for my last chemo treatment. I do have some damage but am hoping that it is only temporary, I don't have the ringing as much and when I can get my ears to pop I can hear better.

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

David,
Tom has been told he has permanent high frequency loss from the cisplatin, too. He had just two doses. He finds that background noise really muddles things and if more than one person is talking at the same time, he has a hard time.

Don't be stubborn about hearing aids. You'll save yourself and those around you a great deal of frustration. I have a couple of friends who for one reason or another have gotten them "young" and neither has regretted it. Cosmetically, they make devices so small now that you can't even see them.

Joyce

CG to Tom dx SCC 5/06; right neck lymph nodes removed, dx right tonsil and tonsillectomy 6/06; rad and chemo started 7/06; treatment COMPLETED 9/06 33x rad; Erbitux (8x); Cisplatin (2);

I don't know how you can really tell at this early stage in your post Tx. It took months for my eustacian tubes to reform and start draining again and until then my hearing sucked. It was like having a bad cold all the time. I even had pain from the fluid buildup behind the eardrum that wouldm't (and couldn't) drain. It was obvious on the MRI's. Permanent hearing loss from Cisplatin is fairly rare. In subsequent hearing tests my mid-range response actually improved a little.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

David,

No one is ever to young for hearing aid when it come to hearing loss.

I too have hearing loss of high range. It is very difficult to hear in a room full of people or back ground noise. My ears tend to shut down if it is too noisy. I get the ringing in ears as well. Some days are better than others, it depends on how much noise I have been expose to. I am hopeing that Gary is right and it will improve in time. I am 9 mo. out from last treatment. Our bodies need lots of time to heal so I am just waiting to see if things will change..

Take care
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
Senior Patient Advocate
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

Gary, they checked my inner ear and fluids, etc. The only problem they found was a sharp drop off in hearing ability in high frequencies in both ears which they said was irreversable. I hope you are right. I don't plan on getting hearing aids until I give everything a chance to heal.

Diane and joyce... I experience everything you both said. It is especially bad when someone is in another room and talks to me. Also when one of our 8 cats knocks something off a table in another room, especially downstairs, I can't tell where the sound comes from. We have a totally deaf kitten and he wreaks the biggest havoc of all.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics