Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#5857 07-26-2005 11:15 AM
Tonya Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I just wanted to let those who have lent an ear, advice and prayers during this past year to know my brother, David passed this morning. He had entered an in-house hospice facility last week when the facial swelling had finally taken his eyesight. That is the devestation of this disease. First he lost his ability to eat, then his speech, his sense of taste and smell, then finally his eyesight. He never complained, but desperately wanted to see as he could not write notes to us without his vision. The hospice was able to reduce the swelling in one eye and that helped David alot.
His passing was so peaceful - he just stopped breathing - no movement or gasp. A high school friend who is now a preacher stopped by before he passed and our family gathered in a circle around David, holding his hand and each others as our friend prayed. David either passed during the prayer or the in the seconds following. We were all right here and I had just changed seats with my sister so she could set beside him and hold his hand for a while when she said, "He's gone." I was truly amazing and so gentle. For that I am so grateful. As my 6 year-old niece said, "That was our miracle, that Uncle Boo went so peaceful." And she is so right. Thank you God, thank you friends on this website. David is no longer suffering. He is no longer bound by this disease. We are sad at our loss, but David is still alive in our hearts and will forever be. He is always with us.
Are prayers are with each and everyone of you.
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

1 Corinthians 2:9 " But as it is written, Eye hath not seen nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him."

May you and your family find comfort in the love of Christ our Lord.

Bless you,
Barbara~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Tonya, What a blessing that he passed so peacefully with all his loved ones around him.This is a dreadful disease but you all gave him a truly beautiful ending despite it all. I hope you hang onto that in the days to come and remember him when he was healthy and happy.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Marcee & I send our condolances to you and your family over the passing of David. It was a very touching post. I take solace in knowing David suffers no more.
I hope thinking about all the good times you shared with David will help aeae the pain you are feeling now.

God Bless, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Tonya,

Your post was a beautiful tribute to David. I know he endured so much in the past several months, and it's been so sad for you to see what he went through, but I'm glad he was able to go peacefully.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Tonya
Peace to you and your family. Thank you so much for the generous gift of sharing David's journey and the peace he experienced that hopefully waits for us all someday when we are free from this disease and all the fear. Out of the mouths of babes. Bless a new angel Boo.... Denise

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dear Tonya

Thankyou for sharing your experience and for your very touching post. I send condolences to you and your family. You are in my thoughts - it is heartbreaking that David was so young.

Love and light from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Tonya Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thank you all. I just returned from visiting with his wife and I didn't realize how difficult it would be to walk into the house and see the recliner, where he had spent so many sick days this past year, empty. Denise, thank you so much for your message, for I do believe Boo is a new angel and he will watch over his little girl from above as she grows and as we share with her the great love her father had and still has for her.
Bless you all and goodnight,
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Tonya,

With tears in my eyes I am writing this. You are a truly amazing sister. My two year old daughter Keeley I will keep you and your beautiful family in our nightly prayers.

Hugs,
Dani

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate

I was thinking about you and your brother just yesterday and I wanted to email.

My heart is with you and your family!

Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics