Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Susie Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone had tried the Saliva Sure Lozengers, and if you have, do they help. Hubby is suffering terribly with xerostomia, even though he had the amifostine drug. It's been three and a half months since the finish of his radiation, and not much saliva. Does the saliva come back after a period of time....do we just have to wait, or is this how it is..forever.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggstions, I would love to hear them. He's been trying Biotene, but it doesn't seem to help. He carries his water all the time, but the dryness is so bad, he gags all the time.

Help, please
Susie

Susie

I still hae salvia problems after 4 years. However some of this is due to my mouth not closing completely. I had no luck with biotene or some of the other stuff. Salegen precription pills work for me but takes 10 minutes or more to get mosture regulated. If I forget my water bottle I choke constantly. I've had some luck with vitamin or other oils...starburst also help me.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi, I don't know if you saw the posts elsewhere on this site but Biotene has a new product out for dry mouth. It's called Biotene Oral Balance Dry Mouth Moisturizing Liquid Spray and seems to work well. It's just hitting stores around the country so you may have to ask your pharmacist to order it if you can't find it at yours.

Also, Susie, my husband had IMRT and is having dry mouth problems as well (5 mo's out). With IMRT, it is supposed to continue to improve for a year or so after treatment.
Connie

Wife of Jerry - Dx. Jan '05. SCC BOT T1N2BM0 + Uvula T0N0M0. Stg IV, Surg on BOT and Uvula + Mod Rad Neck Diss.(15 rmvd, 4 w/cancer), IMRT 33x. Cmpltd 5/9/05.
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Susie

I have a very dry mouth after 27 months (which has caused stomach reflux problems). I carry water with me everywhere. When I need to talk at length (very drying) I use Hamiltons Aquae Mouth Spray which is available from Australian chemists.

Haven't tried Saliva Sure Lozenges.

Love from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Susie Offline OP
OP Offline

Thankyou all, I guess it's just one of those things that.....we have to wait and see. I'll purchase hubby some of the new Biotene and see if that helps. Also the Aquae Mouth, he'll give anything a go.
I'm not sure if Salagen is available here in Australia, I will have to check with our doctor this week when we visit.
Thankyou all once again, and best of luck and good health to you all.
Susie :rolleyes:

Susie
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Salagen is a brand name for the medicine. The drug itself is called Pilocarpine. Here in the US you can get it generic now.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

Walgreen's has a product called Stopper's 4. I have had very good luck with that.

Dad likes the Stopper's 4, also and really finds the Biotene gum helpful, too. He takes the generic of Salagen and has been told it may be 3 months before he sees any effects from it...

Daughter of 75-yr-old Dad with tongue cancer (T3NOMO) surgery and rt neck dissec 4/27/05; completed 27 X IMRT on 7/01/05; recurrance w/ surgical removal of another SCC tumor on 10/7 (he's also nonHodgkins lymphoma survivor since 1/94)

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics