Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

I have another question. My husband Ron is 2 months post radiation. His throat is healing but still very painful, he's back to work about 4 days/week, hasn't put on any weight yet (he lost 40 lbs during treatment), but is slowly getting stronger. This past weekend we went out and he had 1 cocktail (rum and 7 up) along with a big glass of water. He just sipped it, it didn't hurt him, and we had a nice evening. We happened to tell one of his relatives about it, and boy did we get raked through the coals over Ron having one drink. Ron has asked his Doctor's about it, and they said it's OK to have an occasional cocktail. In my opinion, if the Doctor's say it's OK, and with all the hell he has been through, I don't see what's the problem in having an occational drink. Now I may be entirely wrong in my thinking, which is why I'm asking this question. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks, Shelley

Caregiver to husband, Ron. Throat cancer, Stage II. No Chemo or Surgery. Completed 35 Radiation Treatments in November 2004.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Shelley
I was told by the Docs that the occasional drink was not a problem, so enjoy, relax, you deserve it.
Sunshine...love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Shelly; Good for Ron! An nice drink with good company is something of great healing value. My doc told me to feel free to have a drink or a glass of wine, even in the midst of the rads. Alas the damage to my mouth and throat is such that having a nice drink is still an impossiblity for me. I've tried a little watered wine, but it still burns too much to enjoy- that's after 5 months.
I rejoice with you and Ron that he can pick up some regular living fairly soon...don't let anyone turn you away from enjoying yourselves! Ever!
Blessings to you both, Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
OP Offline

Thank you Helen and Fran...I didn't think there was anything wrong with it either, so it shocked me when we got so much flack. I realize his family loves him a lot and they don't want him to do anything harmful that would make the cancer come back. Neither do I! But it was so nice to be out with our friends and socialize. It gave Ron (and myself) a few hours that we could forget about cancer, we were a "regular" couple again. It was a healing experience for us. I guess in the future, if we do that again, we just won't tell certain family members.

Shelley

Caregiver to husband, Ron. Throat cancer, Stage II. No Chemo or Surgery. Completed 35 Radiation Treatments in November 2004.
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello Shelley

I am 18 months from radiation and don't drink alcohol because the taste is unpleasant to me. Wine tastes like vinegar.

However, if Ron likes the taste then go for it! After all, quality of life is a major consideration.

Best wishes to you both from Helen cool

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I went to the UP of Michigan this weekend and had a few yagermeisters, rum and cokes, and a half of a beer. Not all in one sitting. But I must admit it felt good. I wasn

SCC 1.6cm Right Tonsil 10/3/03, 1 Node 3cm, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Wks Induction Chemo (Taxol,Cisplatin), 8 Weeks Chemo/Radiation (5FU,Hydroxyurea,Iressa), IMRT x 40, Treatment Complete 2/13/04.
41 Years Old At Diagnosis
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Shelley; It is no ones business whether Ron has one drink or several if his throat can stand it, he is lucky. I am 9 months post treatment and a sip of wine sets me on fire. Forget pepper of any kind!
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.

Robert, forget that Yag stuff, that WILL kill you! eek

Shelley, The "Official" word on the question of alcohol is that statistically people do better if they don't drink. The exact percentage better is hard to get out of the Doctors. In my opinion live life as best you can. If a little beer or wine helps then don't worry. smile If a LOT of beer or wine dosn't help then you have a problem. frown (I expect some flack for that one). I believe it probably safer to avoid strong concentrations of alcohol.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Sometime after my husband's treatment he started again with a beer a day - now up to two everyday. I was very concerned and asked the doctor who said a few were okay. Stephen feels that life is not complete without his beer! Also is was a wonderful day for him when he was able to taste a glass of fine wine with a nice dinner!

Debbie M, husband had SCC, Tonsil, T4

as everyone knows I love my red wine but I have a rule that the slightest sore spot in my mouth and no wine till it's gone, no-one wants to risk damage to raw tissue.
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users