Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Everyone,

Today is my husband's first check up with the doctor's since he finished his radiation treatments one month ago. I am sitting here at work, and can't work because I'm thinking about my husband, Ron. I asked him if he wanted me to go with him, but he said it wasn't necessary. Since this is his first visit and his throat is still so sore, they will be gentle with him won't they?? How often do they do the cat scans? Just wanted some insight on what to expect this first year...I do know he has to go in every month, but what does that entail?? Thanks for your help.

Shelley

Caregiver to husband, Ron. Throat cancer, Stage II. No Chemo or Surgery. Completed 35 Radiation Treatments in November 2004.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Shelley:
Each individual Doctor, is just that, an individual. Some require monthly visits, some every two months and some every three months. This is common for at least the first year. As far as being gentle, that again is individualism. My ENT does not know the definition of gentle. He just calls his finger exams, "rude and crude".
As for CT scans, I have had two so far..., Shelley, you'll have to let us know what kind of oral cancer Ron had and if their were any lymph nodes involved, etc, etc..
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Shelley, at this point the doc's will probably want to see him once a month for the first year. One to check for any recurrance and second to check on healing progress from surgery/radiation.

PET/CT's kind of vary, but usually every 6 months for the first couple years seems the norm. I'm about 19 months out from finishing RAD, still see the doc about every 2 months weather he wants me to or not, and still doing PET/CT every 6 months. About 6 months is about as long as I can go without needing the mental reasurance that everything is OK.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Shelley,
I would like to add also, that MRI's are a better choice because they are the gold standard for soft tissue scans and introduce no additional radiation.

The exams will vary a little from month to month. They always do a look-see with mirrors and also perform palpation. Occasionally they'll use a fiber optic scope down the nose. It sounds a lot worse than it actually is.

Although the doctor has some flexibility for exam frequency the NCCN oncology practice guidelines are as follows:

year 1 - every 1-3 months
year 2 - every 2-4 months
year 3-5 - every 4-6 months
beyond year 5 - every 6-12 months

Also annual chest x-ray and TSH test every 6-12 months.

They usually numb me (and you can always ask for it) when they get invasive.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Shelley,

I had a great ENT in that he seemed to bend over backwards to make me as comfortable as possible for my exams. My schedule was monthly for the first year, every 2 months in second year, 3 months for third year, 4 months for year 4 and then twice in year 5. As you can see already, schedules vary. While each exam brings the usual uneasy feelings, they do get easier with each trip. Absolutely no comparison to what Ron has already been through. Ron is a lucky man to have You to love him and care for him.

Please keep us up to date on how Ron and You are doing.

Peace
Jack
Dx 1/15/97 SCC rt. tonsil met to rt lymph node Stg IV,
Srgry 1/23/97 tonsillectomy & mod radical neck dissection,
Radiation 35 trtmnts both sides

OP Offline

Thank you all for responding...it really helps calm a persons nerves. Good news! They put a scope down Ron's throat (which at this point he was not thrilled about but what are you going to do), took a good look, and could find no signs of cancer. YEA! Ron is so happy/relieved, I don't think his feet have touched the ground yet. They want to see him every 2 months. I know this is just the beginning of the "watchful waiting" but it sure was good news for us! Our Christmas is going to be that much brighter. Thank you again for your support and encouragement. You are all a Godsend.

Love, Shelley

Caregiver to husband, Ron. Throat cancer, Stage II. No Chemo or Surgery. Completed 35 Radiation Treatments in November 2004.

Shelley, that is good news. Glad Ron's exam went so well. That walking on a cloud is a good feeling, every time they tell you all is clear. My visitation schedule has been a little different in that my doctors started at 1 month, quickly went to 2 months and are now at 3 months between visits and I haven't reached my first anniversary yet. So it depends on your doctor and on Ron's recovery progress, I think.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Shelley,
It sounds like we are in the same time frame, my husband, Bob completed radiation Oct 7, 2004 & on Jan 12 we will have our 2nd checkup. The "watchful waiting" is continuous & is sometimes more difficult than at other times, for me at least. Congratulations on your good news & hold onto that until the next checkup!
Happy 2005!
Laurie

Dx June 18, 2004, neck dissection July 1, 35 radiation txs Aug 18-Oct 7.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics