Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5553 06-17-2005 02:10 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Tomorrow and Sunday The American Cancer Society's "Relay For Life" is being held at our local high school track. For the past several years, Marilyn & I have been participating in this event and raising money for the American Cancer Society. Between the book sale that Marilyn ran at the school where she teaches and personal donations, we received from relatives and friends, we have raised over $1200 this year.

The event starts off with a lap around the track for "survivors" and then one for survivors and caregivers. The survivors are given special T-shirts, and it has always been a very moving experience for us, with the crowd cheering and applauding as the relay begins honoring the survivors.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES!

This year I will proudly be one of the survivors and will have my children and grandchildren in the crowd supporting us.

My hope is that next year, I can participate in this wonderful fund raiser in a new way. There wasn't enough time this year between my surgery and this event to get anything off the ground.

I haven't discussed this with Brian yet, but I would like to set up a booth at the event using the Oral Cancer Foundation as a backdrop and give free oral cancer screenings to everyone. I intend to get all the dentists and hygienists in my practice involved. "Early Detection" will be the theme and the OCF will get exposure.

Any suggestions and ideas about this would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#5554 06-17-2005 07:26 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Anyone that wants literature, banners etc. for events like this, or T shirts to use for fund raising just ask and I'll do my best to see that you get anything that you need. It is always about raising public awareness and early detection.... and what better place to do so.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#5555 06-17-2005 10:39 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Way To Go Jerry !!
What a great idea, now if we could all get our family dentists to do the same thing woudn`t that be something?
Cheers
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#5556 06-17-2005 02:09 PM

Hi Brian,
I am providing sound and music services for the American Lung Association "Bike For Breath" event again this year on July 9th. They give their t-shirts away as part of the entry fee for the cyclists. I will see if I can get permission to sell some OCF shirts. I still have some pamphlets. I think the Lance Armstrong ones would go over big at a cyclist event.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#5557 06-18-2005 03:10 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

We participated in our local Relay For Life June 3-4 & Jerry you are right~it is a very moving experience. The event, in my opinion, is well organized & does a great job of raising money, honoring survivors & involving the community all while having a good time! People of all ages & economic levels can participate.

This was Bob's 1st year as a Survivor & it was a very emotional event for us, our family & friends.

The oral exams are a great idea Jerry!

Dx June 18, 2004, neck dissection July 1, 35 radiation txs Aug 18-Oct 7.
#5558 06-19-2005 03:06 AM

Gary,
That is a great idea. I hope you can get permission to sell the shirts. Unfortunately, I understand that you can't do so at the Relay for Life events. Anything sold there has to profit the ACS only. Too bad they are not willing to work with other organizations. I spoke at a Relay for Life event last year and they are good events, but they could be much better if they would open their hearts and "doors" to others like OCF. Working together could accomplish so much more. Until they lose their "selfishness", I will spend my dollars to help OCF. I do hope they will at least let you set up a booth for free screenings next year, Jerry. Since no money is involved, that shouldn't conflict with their purpose.

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#5559 06-19-2005 03:52 PM
OP Offline

Thanks everyone for your words of support. Thanks, Brian, for the offer of literature, banners, etc.

Last night I discussed my idea with the woman that runs the relay and she was very enthusiastic. I will get more information when the planning for next year's event begins.

NOW I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE SOME THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS EVENT.

It was a beautiful weekend for the relay, this year. The weather couldn't have been better. The event started off with each of the attending survivors going up the the microphone and announcing their name, town, time period of survival and if they wanted, their type of cancer. Yours truly, not being too bashful, was one of the first to get to the mike. Of the maybe fifty to seventy five survivors in attendance, I think I was the only oral cancer survivor there. The time frames spanned from my 2.5 months to well over 15 years.

As the survivors walked the first lap in one direction (wearing our special purple shirts), the caregivers walked in the opposite direction and we met half way around the track in a very emotional joining together of the two groups. My wife Marilyn, my children and grandchildren were there and we then all walked together.

Skipping to the evening, there is a very emotional ceremony that takes place every year. The inside of the track is lined with "luminaries"...paper bags with sand, candles and the name of the person being remembered or honored on it. In one set of spectator stands, other luminaries were arranged to spell out the word HOPE and on the opposite side of the track, for the first time, a beautiful power point presentation projected the names of those being honored and remembered, on a big screen.

Several of my patients approached me during the day and evening to tell me that they had seen me, or heard my name and came over to wish me luck. However, the most moving experience I had was when I was walking around the track at night, by myself. My family had all gone home to New Jersey and Marilyn was at our home with one of our grandkids that had slept over. As I was slowly walking, I felt a tap on my shoulder and a stranger seeing my purple survivor t-shirt shirt, just reached out his hand to shake mine. He held it for a moment, nodded to me and continued on his way. No words were needed for me to know what he was thinking. I was truly touched.

Today's Father's Day was a very special one for me, my first since diagnosis. One of the many thoughts that had run through my mind this past April was how this Father's Day was going to be very different than all previous ones.

As I look forward to, and I really do, my 60th birthday in August, I continually think about how truly lucky I am.

I am thankful for this forum and how wonderful a purpose it serves in trying to make life a little easier and better for those that are lucky enough to find it and become part of this family.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics