Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

I went to see a plastic surgeon on Tuesday and am cautiously excited about what he had to say. He is a reputable surgeon that my doctors sent me to. He has done surgery on radiated necks numerous times. He told me that he could reduce the scar I have from my neck disection, same thing with my trach scar and the scar on my chin. He can remove the existing lump I have under my chin and build up my left lower lip where it has sunk in a bit from the nerve being removed. I was very excited about this part as it is my lower lip condition that I would change first. Only one of the surgeries would require hospital time, the others would be outpatient procedures.
The implants are getting closer, made the first appointment to get the remaining lower teeth extracted and the implants posts put in but chickened out when I found out they don't put me to sleep. That made me pause and think. I just have trouble with being awake while they pull out five of my teeth, drill and place implants into my jaw bone and also do some bone grafting. Scares the crap out of me! So I am asking more questions now and taking some more time to think about this.
This is info that some of you might need and possibly some of you can offer info to me.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Oh My Gosh Minnie, this is what I have been thinking about doing the past couple of weeks. I am gonna call my oral surgeon Monday and get a consult appt with a plastics doctor, Thanks so much sharing the info. My scars really do bother me altho my family tells me they don't see them the way I do. Will you have to pay out of pocket for the surgery? Thanks Minnie, have a blessed day!!!

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Good luck to both of you girls...mental health is so important, and, looking good is lots of help in feeling good!
Take care
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Minnie, I'm gonna leave my scar alone.
Whenever someone asks about the scar on my neck,
I tell them it's a bayonet wound. I love the
reactions.
I don't like the big turkey wattle hanging under
my chin, though...it's ugly.
I got knocked out to remove my wisdom teeth.
The surgeon should be able knock you out. One
surgeon told me he generals everybody...he dosen't
like them bothering him while he operates!
0-0 0-0

Head and neck SCC
TXN2bM0 stage IV
Finished treatment 6/02

Hello Minnie,

I hope the doctors can deliver what you seek. I think everyone on this forum would love you no matter what you looked like. You are always there to post encouragement to all.

Best Wishes, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Minnie, I had anesthesia for the removal of the teeth and placing implants. I was not given any other option. It was an outpatient deal. You need to express your desire for similar treatment. It took a couple of hours.

Powerlifter, I absolutely hated the turkey wattle hanging under my chin and even though I have never thought of myself as particulary vain, was just about to consult a plastic surgeon when it vanished. Over the period of about a month it just shrunk to nothing. My ENT, to whom I had complained, just grinned when I told him. I guess that is pretty common. Hang in there.

Minnie
Tell them you want to be knocked out it's your choice, I had to fight to get knocked out for a biospy on my throat, silly man, soon sorted him.. don't be forced girl...
sunshine.. love and HUgs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Minnie I am so happy for you, already having the surgery and the teeth. WOW, I am so jealous of you...I was so hoping that would be the way I would do,,,You go girl,,,yeah yeah yeah for MINNIE,,,Always Miss Vicki

minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Dan Bogan, you always say the right things!
I am taking Helen's advice and am going to "sort" my doctor out and insist on the sedation. If I have any problems I'm going to give him Helen's number, lol. Since Joanna has been there done that, I always judge this stuff around what worked for her.
Powerlifter, I may try the bayonet story until I have the surgery. There have been a few times in public when someone will stare much more then I feel is deserved and I will stare RIGHT BACK AT THEM. It's such a human reaction I guess.
Carol, I will fill you in on all I learn and hopefully will have had most of it completed before I come to Baltimore, then you can see it for yourself!
Miss Vicki, I think of you daily and will dance a jig when your day comes, and it will come.
Thanks for all the replies,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Minnie,

You should easily be able to have your extrations done and implants placed with sedation. There are anesthesiologists (Spelling?) who travel to dental offices to do sedation and general anesthesia and your surgeon should know of one. If not, I may be able to recommend someone pretty close to home for you. Let me know if you want more info.

Barb

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users