Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55073 06-17-2004 07:39 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Just curious to know if anyone else who has had a radical neck dissection experienced major shoulder soreness/pain...

I had my neck dissection almost two weeks ago, and my shoulder and right under my collar bone sometimes feels awful, especially if I stand/walk for awhile or sit in certain chairs. I guess my shoulder is feeling the pinch of not having one of the major muscles there anymore...

The docs said he wanted me to heal up another few weeks before recommending physical therapy to strengthen the other muscles around the one that was lost. Any other tricks to keep the pain down or work out some of the soreness? I feel like Randy Johnson after throwing 135 pitches... OK, not really, but it does hurt...

Tongue cancer (SCC), diagnosed Oct. 2003 (T2 N0 M0). Surgery to remove tumor. IMRT Radiation 30x in Dec 2003 - Jan. 2004. Recurrence lymph node - radical neck dissection June 2004. Second round of rad/chemo treatments ended Sept. 2004.
#55074 06-17-2004 11:13 AM
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello Eric

I get severe pain from my shoulder. In my case it is due to my lymph tumours damaging the accessory nerve, not the actual surgery. My pain is only relieved with drugs. Possibly your new posture has resulted in some nerve compression which therapy will help when you are able. Physical therapy has helped me with general flexibility etc.

From Helen with love cool

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
#55075 06-18-2004 06:48 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Eric,

Been meaning to post to you for some time, but haven't had the time. I'm sorry your neck dissection was so painful. I didn't have that experience. As for problems with the shoulder, You probably went back to work too soon. I did the same thing after my first neck dissection and I didn't have any muscle loss. I wound up with severe pain in the back because I was sitting in strnage positions at my desk trying to compensate for the arm.

Here are some things to try until you get to PT. Make sure your desk chair has arms on it so your arm is supported. Support your arm with the other hand under the elbow while walking any distance or if it is hurting. Do not lift anything heavier than a lb. I also supported my arm at all times while sitting or riding in the car. I used a stuffed bear who has been with me for through all my cancer treatments, but a pillow under the arm is just an effective. PT is what you need as soon as possible. The second time around, I went back to work 8 weeks after surgery rather than 8 days, got PT right away, followed my above rules and had no problems at all. Hope that helps.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#55076 06-18-2004 03:02 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey Eric,
My Dan had his radical neck dissection Christmas eve, and just started PT about 3 weeks ago. It has helped alot. He was on major narcotics during chemo/rad treatments and didn't have the pain. Once he got off the meds, the shoulder started really hurting...

Take care,
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
#55077 06-18-2004 04:42 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Eric, I had pain from the way the shoulder fits and found that stretching by grabing a high door frame (or anything else) and gently hanging from that arm would help alot. In addition my ENT told me to stand near a wall with the affected sholder twards the wall and walk the fingertips up the wall with that arm, Go as high as you can and repeat. You will find that after a while the pain goes away and you will recover most if not all of the strength and mobility of that arm plus the pain will fade.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#55078 06-19-2004 08:38 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Eric, I still have trouble with my shoulder and it has been about one and half years since my surgery. I use an excercise ball up against a wall with my arm outstreched and my hand on it and I write out the alphabet. Try to keep from turning your body towards the wall. It really helps strengthen the shoulder.
Sharon

Right Radical Neck Disection 2/02, 7 wks Rad. rgt side 04/03, 15% of tongue removed 08/03, Lung Met 05/04, lung surgery removed 8 nodules and 4 lymph nodes in chest all SCC
#55079 06-20-2004 01:00 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Eric, another one with shoulder pain also, felt like my shoulder was going to come out of it's socket. Helped if I supported my arm for a little while, especially if I was walking long distances. Excersizes everyone mentions above help, once the shoulder heals up some strength building exercises also, light weights at first.

Also, since you're a sports photographer and probably carrying a camera bag, you may want to consider what side of you're carrying the bag on. Used to use a backpack/breifcase/computer case, and like most folks, just slung it around one shoulder. Found later, after about 2 weeks my neck would feel exactly like it did when I had the first tumour in the nodes. Got worried, then realized what might have been causing it. Changed to a rolling computer case and didnt' carry over the shoulder, and pain went away. Don't know how you would deal with that in your case, (no pun intended).

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics