Hi Eric, another one with shoulder pain also, felt like my shoulder was going to come out of it's socket. Helped if I supported my arm for a little while, especially if I was walking long distances. Excersizes everyone mentions above help, once the shoulder heals up some strength building exercises also, light weights at first.

Also, since you're a sports photographer and probably carrying a camera bag, you may want to consider what side of you're carrying the bag on. Used to use a backpack/breifcase/computer case, and like most folks, just slung it around one shoulder. Found later, after about 2 weeks my neck would feel exactly like it did when I had the first tumour in the nodes. Got worried, then realized what might have been causing it. Changed to a rolling computer case and didnt' carry over the shoulder, and pain went away. Don't know how you would deal with that in your case, (no pun intended).

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.