Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54780 05-06-2004 03:47 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I read these posts all the time and I know everyone is differant but I'm confused about how long they seem to be dragging this drinking or eating thing out. I've even read posts were they wouldn't let someone out of the hospital until they were eating. A little background: April 12th Don had radical right side surgery and they removed 2/3 of the tongue base and soft palate. He was hospitalized only 10 days when after surgery they said he'd be in 14. Great! He came home with the trach and peg. NOTHING by mouth... don't even try. "Bacteria build up or pockets developing between stitches" were the reasons. OK not even water. Though Don said he could feel himself swallow saliva on the left side. Day 18 he went back and they FINALLY took staples out of arm and belly. Dr said residents were suppose to remove them before he left the hospital. :rolleyes: Still has trach... reason? Still a lot of swelling and "because of IMRT" he still has a lot of saliva and there is a choking concern. Water? Food? Not yet but try some crushed ice and these tongue exersises and we'll see ya back MAY 25th! The crushed ice goes down well and feels good...no problem ...and as of the last couple days he actually feels it go right down the middle! No choking, not even clearing his throat. cool So I ask, "whats the problem?" confused Why can't we have ice cream yet or a GLASS of water. It doesn't take a month and a half to determine that it's not sliding into his lungs does it? And he's starting to spit out stiches so "like his arm", he should be pretty well attached in there now wouldn't you think? Are we being impatient? Or is it me. He's going to do whatever the Dr says and thats good but should I let the "swallow therapist" know how well he's doing? I'm afraid the longer it is before he USES this new muscle, and the treated area around it, the worse chance of it ever working right... or taking longer to work. I raised 4 boys and I love to see a man eat. Watching this Protain XL drip into him only gives me comfort because it's better nutrition than most of us ever get. But a man's gotta eat! 2130 calories a day is a starvation diet! OK he's more seditary right now...but he HAD been losing weight up til now the past 2 days. And a lot of that was muscle. He was VERY active, at least 18 holes of golf 3 or 4 times a week. He works on a huge paper mill dam. But he's been off since early Dec. I know it's a long way back but he seems ready. He feels pretty good. No more Roxicet, laugh Tylenol w/codiene a few times a day yet. The swelling is pretty hard yet in his neck "I PRAY" it's swelling and nothing else. I asked about lateral massage and his nurse said "When it's time the Dr. will let us know" His strength and recovery speed has totaly amazed me. That word doesn't even describe it! His fore arm flap is holding great. A couple raised dark red areas about 2" total on the wrist edge and the "thumb" side yet but the under side is almost a perfect match already! The flap was about 6" long from wrist to mid arm. It would look a lot better if he hadn't RAKED it on a cardboard box opening a case of Protain! ARRRG! eek It bled so I guess it's working. Tips? Suggestions? Your experiance with swallowing. I'd feel better if I could at least give him one of my malts through the peg (about 1400 cals) but we don't have the OK for anything but ProtainXL yet.

Caretaker/Longtime Girlfriend of Don. Dx 10/31/03 SCC Stage IV T2N3bMO right tonsil/tongue base. 35 IMRT w/8 Chemos,Biopsy 4/5/4 STILL pos. Radical rightside 4/12/4 Reoccurred late August 04 God took his hand from me November 23rd, 2004
#54781 05-07-2004 12:27 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Jeep, things sound like things are progressing really good. I think the doc is just being careful, and giving Don time to heal.I see no reason why you shouldn`t let the swallowing therapist know how well he`s doing. I can`t give you any feedback on swallowing. Frank never got to that point, but he went from 118lbs to 170lbs on his peg...............will email more...........Love and Hugs, Dee

#54782 05-07-2004 09:07 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I think Dee is right. I think they are just being very careful at this point. I think they don't want anything to open up because someone swallowed too soon. I think they are also worried about aspirating and pneumonia. I knew a lady who got pneumonia twice because she ate too soon. They would't let me swallow until I had a barium swallow test at 3 weeks, although I cheated at 3 weeks and drank some water. I was given the go ahead for liquids and soft foods after 4 weeks.

Lynn

Stage 3, N0, M0 oral tongue cancer survivor, 85-90% of tongue removed, neck disection, left tonsil removed, chemo/radiation treatments, surgery 11/03, raditation ended 1/04, lung mets discovered 4/04,
#54783 05-07-2004 10:05 AM

I had a barium swallow test while I was still in the hospital -- 2 days before they sent me home and another one this week at the 6 week mark. I still couldn't drink water for the longest time so I would take mouthfuls of ice water and swish them around in my mouth. That helped.

#54784 05-07-2004 04:14 PM
OP Offline

Thanks All! I feel better hearing Don's not the only one that had to wait. I'll set back. I'm for whatever works! If patients is what it takes I got it! I just want to make sure we didn't miss something, like leaving the hospital in staples!

Caretaker/Longtime Girlfriend of Don. Dx 10/31/03 SCC Stage IV T2N3bMO right tonsil/tongue base. 35 IMRT w/8 Chemos,Biopsy 4/5/4 STILL pos. Radical rightside 4/12/4 Reoccurred late August 04 God took his hand from me November 23rd, 2004

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics