Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54478 03-08-2004 12:53 PM
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Had my first Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment today. I had a tiny bit of trouble with my ears but not to bad. My biggest issue will be that I have to keep relatively still for that long period of time, which is approx. 2hours and 20 minutes. Also, it seemed so cold in the chamber so I will ask for another blanket tomorrow. The chamber did not make me feel claustraphobic so for that I was thankful.
Joanne, did you have any problems with your ears after treatments? Mine feel achy tonight. The doctors did tell me that I will most likely have more "ear issues" then usual this time of season as Virginia is famour for it's "seasonal" allergies.
Other then some minor things and the fact that it ties up almost three hours of my day this treatment is very tolerable.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54479 03-08-2004 05:16 PM

The worst is over, Minnie! Every one is easier than the last. I was freezing too, and while I was wrapped in three blankets, use to look over and see other patients with ice packs! I do not understand why you have to hold still. I moved all over that chamber, did isometric exercises, slept on my stomach and rolled from side to side. I am 5'9" and that chamber is 23 in. in diameter, but if they were not watching me, I was pretty sure I could have turned end to end which would have really caused an uproar. Things like that amuse me. Okay, back on track, yes, my ears used to feel kind of full, for lack of a better term, after the first few treatments, but no pain. That went away pretty fast, though. Are you remembering to take an antihistamine before treatment? That will make a whale of a difference. I am so happy that you have finally begun treatment. You are just that much closer now to having some good teeth! Let me know if you have other questions.
Joanna

#54480 03-09-2004 03:22 AM
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Joanne,
I was worried that moving to much would cause the monitors to go bonkers! I'll move around lots more today. I'm also going to bring a movie to watch. The gentleman that came in when I was leaving yesterday had both legs amputated right at the hips.............I left there feeling fortunate if that is possible after the past 11 months! Today is my 8 month "anniversary" for end of radiation treatment............next month on the 16th will be a year for my surgery. Just doesn't seem possible some days that it's been that long then other days it feels like it will never end!
Take care,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54481 03-09-2004 02:23 PM

My reply has nothing to do with the treatments....Just that the visual of Joanna end for ending in the tube just for grins cracked me up! laugh laugh Got to make the day lighter for those poor medical folks. Reminds me of when I was moving my feet as though dancing when I was bolted to the radiation machine because "Muskrat Love" was playing on the muzak in the treatment room....I like to walk the fine line of seeming to be closer to crazy than sane. It keeps everyone thinking......

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#54482 03-09-2004 07:01 PM

Mark, your last sentence is the philosophy by which I live. I have fun even if those around me don't quite get it -- always keep 'em wondering!

And now, back to Minnie. How was day two?

Joanna

#54483 03-10-2004 02:53 AM
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi All,
Well Joanna, I smiled more then a few times on day two thinking about what those outside the chamber would think if I indeed started going end to end! I was told, when I asked, that I could certainly move around in there more then I thought I could, I was worried about messing up the leads and monitors. So, I moved around more and it was better. I even tried to sleep but would just start to get there when it would be time for my "air break".
My right ear is giving me some trouble, the doctor said the canal is really "damaged" from radiation and is hanging on to some wax. But it's still not what I would consider painful, just uncomfortable.
Overall, the only complaint I have is that this treatment puts a cramp in my schedule!
Thanks for asking Joanne and Mark, I'm happy this got a smile for you!

#54484 03-10-2004 07:56 AM

Thanks for the update, Minnie. It really does get easier and easier. Off topic again, Mark's radiation dancing made me remember when I lost my voice at the end of the rad, and showed up for treatment with a computer printed list of things I wanted them to know. At the top of the page, in very large, black print were the words "This is not a stickup!" which made them wonder about my life outside treatment, I am sure. That is now pasted on the front of my file. Now, Minnie, it is your turn to come up with something strange (grin). One last thing, I found that watching movies made the time go much, much faster.
Joanna

#54485 03-10-2004 04:57 PM
minniea Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Joanne,
I did watch a movie today for TX #3. Watched "A Few Good Men" and it did make the time go by faster.
I was very dizzy when they took me out of the chamber today, that didn't happen the first two times.
My nurse told me that after approx 7 or 8 treatments that the lymphedema left on my neck and jaw should resolve. Did that happen with you? I would be thrilled to have it go away. I still have some left under my chin on the neck disection side, along my "new" jaw and a tiny bit along the surgical scar on my neck. How long does it take for this stuff to go away?
Was the surgery to get the implants difficult? I'm told it will be outpatient.
It's wonderful to have someone to ask these questions of.
Minnie

#54486 03-10-2004 10:15 PM

Hi, Minnie. Even though this is just you and me, I will keep it public for anyone who may be just reading, as when I was doing HBO, there were quite a number of people like us there. Okay, your questions. No to the lymphedema, as my surgery was 18 months prior to HBO, so it was long gone by then. Also, I was never dizzy. Did you perhaps sit up and jump off the bed too quickly? As far as the implant surgery, it is indeed outpatient. Mine was done in a place that has a surgical suite. Bear in mind that I also had the dead teeth extracted at the same time, so it took a bit longer, about two hours. The anesthesia used was such that I was not truly awake until sometime after the 95 mile drive home - I was not the driver (grin). No need for pain pills. A lot of salt water rinsing and only very soft foods (liquid or close to it) for 10 days. Some of the many stitches came out after a couple of weeks, and the rest I took out, figuring that wasn't worth a return trip. In another installment we can discuss how and what to eat without teeth. I have forgotten if you will be getting both upper and lower implants. Two more "dives" and you will be 25% done with the first go around!
Joanna

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users