Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
minky Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I still can't quite swallow well. The Rad docs think I might have some scarring from he therapy. I supposed 2 see a speech therapist in 2 weeks. I think it's 'cos I've been directing so much mucus & food (during chemo) the other direction since November.

Can ne1 offer suggestions on how 2 improve swallowing. The main probs are sometimes the liquid wants 2 go up my nose when I take 2 big a sip & I think one side of my throat is stiff.

Dig.7/03 3cm+ lymph nodes & base of tongue tumor. Radical neck dissection w/removal of one neck muscle, laser removal of tumor. 47 sessions of radiation, 2 doses of Cisplatin & PEG tube 40yrs old non-smoker/drinker
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Minky,
what you are experiencing is fairly typical at this stage. Try to take smaller sips. I always use a straw. Make sure that the phlegm is as cleared as it can can be. Avoid dry things like bread (unless you dip it in olive oil). There will be some scarring and texturing of the muscle tissue but it will improve over time. I am almost a year out now and my swallowing is fairly normal now.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
minky Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Gary!

I'm such a full speed ahead type person that I get frustrated by the smaller sips & end up popping a can of Osmolite 4 the tube.

I've yet 2 try using a straw. I feel like a toddler. Itsy bitsy portions & I never really know what anything is gonna taste like.

Thanx smile

Dig.7/03 3cm+ lymph nodes & base of tongue tumor. Radical neck dissection w/removal of one neck muscle, laser removal of tumor. 47 sessions of radiation, 2 doses of Cisplatin & PEG tube 40yrs old non-smoker/drinker

Baby steps is important - Aspiration into the lungs can cause pnuemonia. From the radiation and surgical damage to atrophy, it will take time to get the swallowing mechanism back in order.

I found in the early stages of swallowing solid food that "prepositioning" it on the back of the tongue helped, you just have to experiment what works best for you. Always remember that moist foods work best (even now a year out).

It is hard to find a restaurant that can cook chicken without drying it out. You'll discover all kinds of things you took for granted before.

This disease and the recovery from it forthwith, will stretch your bounds of patience.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Minky,
I to have my drinks coming out of my nose. My speech theripist told me to tilt my head down and than swallow. It seemed to help.
Each swallow of food for me is a thought out process. Like Gary said it takes time and will get better in time.
Funny how sometimes I can drink without a problen and the next time it starts dripping out of my nose. I was at a resturant today and was joking with the waitress about it! (I asked her for a couple of extra napkins) She is also a oral cancer survivor with a reoccurance. Her name is Peggy Radtke. She doesn't own a computer or TV.
I wish she did so she could vent and share her experience with other OCF members. She is a very nice person who has battled like hell for two years now. Her and I are buddies!!!

Keep your chin up as my Grandmother used to say!!!

Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Dan,
Peggy can always have access at the public library.

Gary Allsebrook

I too am having a hard time swallow anything. I choke on every sip. Any help is sure a sweet thing for me.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

hi,

i had chemo&rad that gave me eating problems.. i did 8 months with a speach person, which helped big time... they know lots about eating...

then i got my esophagus stretched twice... seconday rad had caused it to be very tight.. it is now close to normal size. initially it was about 2 mm diameter, now it is 42 mm. in the general population, 50 mm is typical... however my doc didn't want to stretch again, so i am happy to leave it alone.

my eating is much improved, but lack of saliva continues to be a problem.

i found that getting help with this was something that i had to push for. the doc's didn't offer it. i had to ask for help.

cu,larryb

minky Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm sorry 2 hear you had to push to get help larry-b. Glad you knew what to ask for. Me & my husband were @ 1st confused as 2 how a speech therapist would help when the Rad Dr. set up an appt.

I'll have to try tilting my head down today like you suggested Dan.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear Larry,

I'm very interested in information on esophageal stretching. Dennis is still having great difficulty swallowing, and to be honest, we are tired of hearing "this is a normal side effect of rad and chemo."

Do you have any advice for us regarding this procedure?

Thanks in advance,
Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users