Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54076 11-21-2003 04:08 PM
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Having one of those days where everything just seems to hurt. When does the paranoia end??
I am having pain in my jaw, right at the place in front of the ear where it joins the upper jaw. It aches and makes my ears ache also, more on the right side then the left. I expect my left side to hurt, they removed that lower jaw bone and replaced it with a bone from my leg. But why would my right, lower jaw ache like this? Can raidation mess with the joints?

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#54077 11-22-2003 07:56 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, You and I have somewhat the same problem. I had the femur flap and it failed, so they had to put in a titanium bar to replace my jaw bone. I had a infection on that it it caused pain and headaches, I blamed the infection. In April the put a new bar in and I am infection free. I still have face pain in jaw and up both sides of face. I have found it worse at night after I have talked a lot or eaten foods harder to eat. I asked my Doctor if this was something I will have to live with for the rest of my life. He said NO, it takes a long time for something like this to heal, Nerve endings are knitting, etc. He gave me more Tylenol with Codine to take to sleep if it gets really got bad. If you think about it removing a tumor and bone and tissue from this area would create quite a trama to the face.I just hope is does get better with time. I have not had radiation so I cannot answer that, but i have it without radiation so that should tell you something.

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#54078 11-23-2003 09:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Minniea,

I too have an ache in the same place. And yes you are right it is the joint (at least mine is) The pain comes and goes and also is strong when I try and chew on that side. But, I also have trismus from the radiation.

Not sure at this time what can be done, we are waiting for some other things to get better before I do the oral surgeon route. Hope it helps to know that it could be the joint. But as with all our aches and pains. If they persist please mention them to your doctor.

Take care,
Dinah

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916